Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Swallowed earring?!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM
  • 17 Replies

I need SUPER quick advice. Ariel is my first baby so I have no idea what to do.

I'm pretty sure she just swallowed an earring (basically a stud). She coughed for a moment and then it was over so I'm sure it's already in her stomach. I have no idea how she managed to get it off the television but she did cause one is gone and I've checked everywhere to see where it could've gone. It was the earring AND back.

What should I do? I don't have the money to take her into the pedi's office or even the ER.

UPDATE: DH took off work around noon and we took her to the ER. They took an X-ray of her little tummy and sure enough, there it was. The dr said he couldn't tell if it was in her lower stomach or upper intestine. He said that we should continue regular feedings and for us to go BACK to the ER tomorrow (yay another $100 copay *rolls eyes*) for another X-ray to make sure it's moved on down into the intestine so she'll pass it.

I'm not as worried as I was, thank God. But it's still really nervewracking and I feel like a horrible parent :/

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM

It doesn't cost anything to give the doctors office a call, so try that first.  My son swallowed a penny once, and they said that as long as he wasn't being kept from breathing and he actually swallowed it, he would be fine.  But with the earring there are sharp points on it, so I might be a little more concerned. 

firenicecream
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I agree with the PP... definitely call the doctor.

huntersmommy25
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Ya I would say call the doctor and see what they have to say. If its going to hurt her then you gotta get it out...if they say it will pass then just watch her and  makes sure she is ok! dont know what good the advice was but try calling the doc!

robibuni
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM

The pointed edge is what I'm worried about.

And now DH is telling me I basically killed her.

huntersmommy25
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM

sorry whats a DH? i dont know the lingo

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I would call your doctor. I don't know how it is in your state but I know here in Ma the er cannot turn anyone away regardless of insurance. And honey you did not kill her. Don't listen to DH about that. She will be fine. I am sure that babies have swallowed worse and it is not like you gave it to her. GL

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2. mod

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM

DH is darling husband.

Quoting huntersmommy25:

sorry whats a DH? i dont know the lingo

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2. mod

mommy1326
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM

My DS swallowed those little metal clips that are on the end of socks. FREAKED OUT!!

I was told to wait and check his stool everytime to see if it had passed. If it didn't by the end of the day they I would go see the Dr. Unless you can tell that it is hurting your DD. Then go in ASAP! Or to the ER.

Mother to Kurtis 3/13/07 & Katrena 3/04/09

gacgbaker
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Quoting robibuni:

The pointed edge is what I'm worried about.

And now DH is telling me I basically killed her.

You didn't kill her, it will be ok mom!  Were you able to call the doctor yet? 

robibuni
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)