Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby's first cold with a cough

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:37 AM
  • 4 Replies
Hi ladies. My son is now six months old and has his first cold. We have done everything -- elevated the mattress slightly, taken the baby in the steamy bathroom, tried Vicks on his chest and feet (doesn't work -- its a myth), put a vaporizer in his room, saline nose drops and the bulb syringe, and nothing seems to be helping. We are most concerned about the cough cough that has come with this cold, which sounds mucusy and painful. We have called the pedi who said we can't give him anything in the way of meds and that if he has no fever, there's nothing we can do. Does anyone have any home remedies for a cough in a young baby? Would you go against the nurse's orders and do something OTC, or do you know of anything else that may work?
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Wish2Be
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:39 AM

The only thing that I did that you had not mentioned is Infant Tylenol. It helps with cough and sore throat...its also a fever reducer. Our son was sick at 2 1/2 months old. His cousin got him sick on xmas :( ...It still took about 2 weeks for him to get better. Its unfortunate that we cant do much to make them feel better. 

CafeMom Tickers
gacgbaker
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Sounds like you are doing everything you can, and the tylenol isn't a bad idea if he seems really uncomfortable.  How long has he been sick?  I hope that he is better soon!

Amber- Group Owner of:
Unique Baby Names
and Children's Health Issues

kstanley_86
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:34 AM

You're doing everything you can, I agree to try the tylenol.  I took my dd to an urgent care dr. and she told me that until they're 2 or 3 they get viruses very frequently and they can last up to 2 weeks.  My dd has gotten a cold it seems like every month or every other month.  I wouldn't give him anything over the counter, I know this children's er nurse who told me that they don't have anything otc for kids until they're 2.  There used to be but they all got taken off the shelves because kids were dying from them.

CafeMom Tickers
kstanley_86
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM

If you pat your baby on the back enough that can help loosen up any mucous.  My dd's cough still isn't strong enough to get it up, but it will come out when she spits up.  The mucous not sitting in his chest will also help him get better faster.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)