Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why did you have children?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

Sometimes people without kids seem to have the "why did you even want to have kids" question.  Have you ever been asked why you had a child (or children), and how did you answer?

Amber- Group Owner of:
Unique Baby Names
and Children's Health Issues

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelgirl25
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM

lol when i was in college i was babysitting my roommate's 4 year old and 15 month old kids, we went for a walk to the store with her 15 year old brother. i was 18 at the time but i look(ed) younger than i am so i guess this lady thought i was the brother's gf and that they were our kids. she stopped us and started lecturing us about how irresponsible it was and "why would you wants kids at your age" i looked at her and said with a straight face "they are AWESOME tax deductions! Plus do you know how much money the government throws at young unwed mothers on welfare??? i plan to pop out a couple more in the next year or 2" and then we kept walking.

the poor lady almost had a heart attack. her own damn fault, should mind her own business lol.

but now i just tell people who ask that question that hubby ain't getting any younger.

NeonGirl9583
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I had kids b/c I love kids and my hubby grow up in foster care around a lot of kids and so he wanted a couple. We have 3 and he wants atleast 1 or 2 more.

in loveamerican footballtoddler girlbaby girl

sstepph
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I've never been asked. But I have always wanted children, and we were blessed with Garrett. He was an unplanned blessing as we call it :) He has made my life so much more amazing and has brought us so much closer and has made us love each other more. We are planning to have another when the time is right.

Mommy to Garrett Joseph
~ 8.15.08 ~

apronOwner of I <3 my Crock Pot
boy n girlAdmin of Children's Health Issues

LilRed2130
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I get asked alot why i wanted my son....everyone had the idea that he was just a mistake an i should abort (i don't believe JMO) or give him up for adoption....I never considered either. An when asked by those ppl i just say i wasn't trying to get pregnant...hell i didn't even think i could have kids but from the moment i knew i was carrying a life i cherished him...he was an is my miracle an yes its hard sometimes to be a mother but i wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world.

Now the ppl who are rude b/c my son is mixed an ask why i would want to keep a mixed baby an how his life is gonna be harder b/c he isn't one race....that's a different story....I tell them they are beyond ignorant...damn near the whole world is mixed that my son is a blessing  an they can go f*** themselves!

Just so everyone knows my lifelong dream was to be a mother....i thought i never would have a child naturally but i did he wasn't planned i wasn't ready but the moment i knew i carried him i knew he was my future my miracle.

BekaBug
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM

ive never been asked why did i have them. but i get asked why didnt i wait alot. i've always wanted kids and so has my husband. and we want a big family, something our families dont understand. we had them bc we felt like we were ready and could provide them a good loving home.

this is just too funny!! way to think on your toes. 8 ) im so late thinking up come backs. 8 )

Quoting Angelgirl25:

lol when i was in college i was babysitting my roommate's 4 year old and 15 month old kids, we went for a walk to the store with her 15 year old brother. i was 18 at the time but i look(ed) younger than i am so i guess this lady thought i was the brother's gf and that they were our kids. she stopped us and started lecturing us about how irresponsible it was and "why would you wants kids at your age" i looked at her and said with a straight face "they are AWESOME tax deductions! Plus do you know how much money the government throws at young unwed mothers on welfare??? i plan to pop out a couple more in the next year or 2" and then we kept walking.

the poor lady almost had a heart attack. her own damn fault, should mind her own business lol.

but now i just tell people who ask that question that hubby ain't getting any younger.

i'm a book reading, thrill seeking, always traveling, can't sit still, stuck in my ways,  pierced and tattooed, co- sleeping, vaccinating, breast feeding, army wife., and mommy to a little girl. who's madly in love with my husband and absolutely loves being a stay at home mommy kind of woman.

MikkiD85
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I don't believe that I have ever been asked why I wanted to have children, but I have been asked why I had my daughters so close and why I want to have more.

I wanted to have children because 1) I have always loved children; 2) I just always knew I would be a mother.

Becoming a mother has been my best accomplishment in my entire life. After finding out about my first daughter, I was ecstatic. At that moment, I realized that no matter what went on in my life and no matter who liked me or who didn't, I was going to have a child that would always be my child, and that I would love until the end of time regardless. Upon finding out about my second daughter only a few months after having my first, my eyes were lit. I was a bit scared, but it was okay. I wanted a big family anyway.

Now, today, I am 13 weeks pregnant with twins, and I couldn't be happier. I am almost to the number of children I want. I always wanted 6 children. My mother was number 10 of 13 children, and my grandmother was one sibling out of 14. Now, I don't plan on having that many, but I just always felt that there was always so much love to share in a large family. 

TikkiNippets
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I have always loved the idea of being a mommy. I used to aske Santa for a Baby Doll every year for Christmas LOL I could never get enough of them. so when I finally got my kids it was a dream come true. ^_^

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
bluestarr80
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I've always known I've wanted a family and wanted to be a mommy. I knew I was ready when I realized that life is much bigger than myself.  

in lovebaseballbaby boy

Steve & Sarah '01      Kyle '04            Zach '09

ErinHill226
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I think in the beginning we are biologically programmed with hormones and such to crave children. When I was a kid I knew I wanted to be a mommy someday, but I'm not sure I could have told you WHY. Then when I got married the urge was so strong I wanted to slap any woman who announced she was pregnant in my presence. (Not literally...mostly)

I wanted to have a warm bundle to hold and smell its hair and have it love me and find out what my mom had been talking about. Then when dd was born...it's so much more than you think. You see that you created this child. You grew her in your body, if you adopted, you prayed for them before you even met them. You show them things and they learn. I'm not sure you can even describe it...but that's why I want MORE children I knew from the get go after Katie was born that "Hey, this is fantastic. Lets do this again!"

lucassmommy08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I will have to say when we found out about my first my mother in law told my hubby (then bf) you don't have to have it. I was very angry at that comment. When we announced we were expecting again we waited to tell her because we were delighted. To this day she has order us not to have anymore so of course we are planning on having another in a year or two LOL I can tell you I beam and tell people who ask all about my boys. I also say they are the best thing I have ever done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)