Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 month old gagging? (piog)

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:32 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi Ladies...I need some help. My 9 month old gags on every bit of solid food I give him. He has always had a very very very sensitive gag reflex. As infant he would gag himself and then smile so I never thought much about it . At around 6 months he would take about a 3rd of the 1st stages baby food jar and then gag and slowly started gagging more and more so I thought he just want ready. So I stopped trying for a while.. in the last few weeks I have begun to try again but it is worse now he cant even eat the 1st food or applesauce. So I thought it was a texture things so I tried the Gerber spaghetti O meals and he gags on that too. He liked the taste and was reaching for more but once it was in his mouth he gagged. And a lot of the time he will gag so much that he vomits. He even gags and vomits when we try those baby puffs that dissolve almost instantly. Iam so scared and worried about this. He goes to the doc on Wednesday so I will definitely be asking him but has anyone else had this problem with their LO? What could be going on? he is very interested in table food and tries to take anything we are eating so could there be a problem with his throat/swallowing?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GillyMarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM

bump

Honeybun09
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:46 PM

My DD was this way until about 9 months herself. I just didn't push it. I fed her what she would eat and tried again later. Luckily breastmilk or formula will give your LO what they need if they aren't eating much. The pediatrician might want to put your LO on vitamins if they're still this picky and not eating as much when they turn 1 and the formula stops, unless you are breastfeeding because you can still breastfeed a toddler.

So my advice is just to feed your LO what they will eat and then keep trying later. My DD eventually stopped gagging everything out and now eats like a pro!

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, anti-spanking and time-out, anti-CIO, wanting another baby but waiting, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, training to be a child care assistant, natural family planning (no birth control AT ALL) mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

Have a Baby? Join us in the Babies group! ~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

My son was the same way with some of the foods too. He would gag until he threw up everywhere. I just had to keep working at it until he got used to it. It is very common although I would mention it to your doctor where he is doing that with everything and just see what they think. GL

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2. mod

GillyMarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM

bump

GillyMarie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Quoting GillyMarie:

bump

sstepph
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Garrett was the same way. He ate great at 1st on 1st baby foods and then he quit, he hated mashed potatoes, mashed banana, chunkier applesauce, so I didn't force him. He's breastfed so I wasn't too worried. Then I started giving him gerber puffs and he is doing much better. The Ped, said not to worry as long as he is growing and what not.

He still gags on things (he's 17 months) he's not eating as well as some 17 month olds, but he loves a lot of the gerber toddler snacks like the cheesies, puffs, yogurt melts, he likes the ravioli's as long as you cut them up.. He's weird on that if they are cut up he won't eat them.. Lol. He still only has 4 teeth on top & 4 on bottom so I don't give him hard things to eat. He loves cheerios and goldfish andyogurt too.. Just keep trying. If you're really worried, talk to the Dr. Thats what they are there for :)

Mommy to Garrett Joseph
~ 8.15.08 ~

apronOwner of I <3 my Crock Pot
boy n girlAdmin of Children's Health Issues

JewelsE
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM

My nine month old (almost ten months) has just started getting better about this whole gagging thing.  He started off the same way as your son, and we have just tried to do a little bit here and there and worked within his means.  Now he can eat the puffs without gagging and all the stages of baby food, but we still have problems with regular finger foods.  The doctor told us to continue offering him soft finger foods to help eliminate the gag reflex.  She says that the practice should hopefully get him better, and I have seen improvement, but he definitely isn't where my nephew was at this age.  My nephew was already eating pretty much everything.  However, I also know all babies are different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)