Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make homemade baby food?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

I want to know if any of you ladies make your own baby food. I want to make my own but can't figure out what type of blender will be good for making small portions of baby food. I tried our regular blender but because it's a small portion of food in it, it pretty much stays at the bottom of the blender.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MoonLover06
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I did big batches at a time and froze it.  Lasted about a month and then moved DD to table foods.

MedicturnedMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I got a Beaba Babycook for christmas. I haven't tried it yet but it is small. It will puree, steam, reheat, and defrost. I'm thinking about getting it out today. I will repost later and let you know how it goes.

fireflymcl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

This is where I got most of my info.

Hope this helps.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I tryied to a couple of times but I just did not have the time to do it. It was easier for me to buy the jars. Plus my son did not like it.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2. mod

MedicturnedMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I just made a small batch of applesauce in my Beaba and it worked great! It took about 20 minutes start to finish. It steams the food first, then you dump it out of the steam basket to where the blade is and then puree to the consistency you want. I made enough to almost fill one of the small ziplock tupperware bowls. Look up the Beaba on Amazon. I recommend it!

Ayla-bellesmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I did. All I had at the time was one of those tiny little food processor things. Very small, for dips and stuff mostly. I used that and did HUGE batches and froze them.

It actually helped because Ayla wouldn't eat a lot of the jarred stuff. Although there was one brand I found was really good...I wish I could remember what it's called. They were organic and they made really tasty smelling and sounding babyfood. Stuff like roasted pork with applesauce and carrots lol. Or Gramma's famous turkey stew.

Just make sure you steam the veggies, instead of  boiling them. And make sure you make it quite runny to start. Keep it generally unspiced until your baby is a bit older. (assuming the baby is very young still).

And when you freeze them, what you can do (what I did) is fill up ice cube trays with the baby food, freeze them into cubes and store them in freezer bags. You can really stock up that way.

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I used my food processor and it worked great.  I steamed most of the food, although I did baked apples and sweet potatoes.  I stored everything as thick as it ended up (the fruits were all pretty runny anhow), and then mixed with breastmilk when I served it if it needed thinning. 

Almost forgot  :)  There are some foods that you don't need to blend at all - just mash - like avocados and bananas, which both make great first foods.

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:05 AM

I used a 3 cup food processor.  I would buy a pound of food at a time to make and then freeze.  Like one of the PP said, www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great website.  Also, it coule be that you just need to add a little liquid, some foods will stick and not blend well till you do that, just add a tiny amount at a time.

Group Owner: Cooking for Toddlers
Group Owner: Baby Food Basics - Cooking for Baby
Group Admin: Frugal & Thrifty Moms (Weekly Menu Planner)

NotVeryClever
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 3:02 AM

I make foods that aren't available in stores and buy the ones that are. Babies r us has a blender specifically for small baby sized portions.

MoonLover06
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Maybe it was Earth's Best?

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

I did. All I had at the time was one of those tiny little food processor things. Very small, for dips and stuff mostly. I used that and did HUGE batches and froze them.

It actually helped because Ayla wouldn't eat a lot of the jarred stuff. Although there was one brand I found was really good...I wish I could remember what it's called. They were organic and they made really tasty smelling and sounding babyfood. Stuff like roasted pork with applesauce and carrots lol. Or Gramma's famous turkey stew.

Just make sure you steam the veggies, instead of  boiling them. And make sure you make it quite runny to start. Keep it generally unspiced until your baby is a bit older. (assuming the baby is very young still).

And when you freeze them, what you can do (what I did) is fill up ice cube trays with the baby food, freeze them into cubes and store them in freezer bags. You can really stock up that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)