Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have breast fed my baby since birth and now my milk is running out.  I have tried reg formula also soy formula and dhe has had an allergic reaction to both.  Like threw up for an hour afterward had red welts on her face and was just screaming for at least an hour.  I have given her skim milk because that is what we had in the house and she was fine.  I gave her whole and she threw that up also so......what do I do?  Is she ok with just skim milk?  HELP ME!!!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lvnmysldr
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM

There are hypoallergenic formulas out there. Similac makes Alimentum and Enfamil makes Nutramigen.  They are more expensive, but they give your baby the nutrition they need where as skim milk does not.

sarbero
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:37 PM

How old is your baby?  Ae you interested in continuing the breastfeeding as opposed to switching to formula?  If so there are ways to boost your milk supply...

mommy2cristian
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM

yeah, i'm confused.  if your baby is under a year then you can try Gentlease, Good Start, or Nutramigen.  You can buy those in Concentrate or add water forms for under $10 to try it out.  As for your supply I've heard Oatmeal helps.  I used the supplement Fenugreek with great results.  Try feeding your daugter more often or try pumping every 2 hours for 10-30 minutes at a time to see if that triggers your body into making more milk.  Oh & people swear by drinking lots of water to help with supply too.

punching              playing soccer boy                 baby in sling    

Rob & Tosh since Feb '98    Cristian (3)               &       Jayden (13 months)

SOLDIERSWIFE409
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM

my daughter is on that similac formula its an orange can and they also make it in store brands thats just as good its just got a store brand name so ..it works for her i tried the same thing as you an she loved skim milk but its not healthy because it causes "intestinal bleeding" supposedly and they dont get the Dha and all that they need so go to similac fill out for some coupons and if shes allergic to milk then that will solve your problem

K.JAY
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM

With my secong child, I tried to breastfeed but, I was afraid to because of the medication I was on to to my C sections and my depression. Yet, when I tried formula she constantly spit up my dr tried to treat her for acid reflux that didn't help so we switch to soy and it made it even worse. It turns out she was allergic to something in both formulas so we had to switch to a special formula called  Similac alimentum, it is neither soy of milk based. It was pricey but she was able to eat with no promblem. Other signs can be severe dry skin.

K.JAY
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM

P.S. the reaons the drs recommend whole milk for children under to is because of a certain fat that helps their brain develop, other than that the calcuim is about the same

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)