Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drugs or Natural?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM
  • 42 Replies

How were your labors?

Were you screaming "Give me the drugs" or were you just Screaming? lol

I had an epidural with my first. I hated the way it made me feel. I went all natural with my second but OMG it hurt so bad. Pushing was the worst for me. It hurt SO bad. Burned like crazy. If I have another, I think I will still go natural but maybe not in the hospital.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cynthje
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Both my births were natural, i was not impressed with the pain even thoug i had back labor start to finish with my first, i was never confined to a bed and being mobile was great. My second was planned as a home birth but turned into an accidental hospital birth. With the second one i didnt have any interventions at all not even a VE

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

LincolnsMom323
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I just had my first baby on December 20, 2009 at 1:13 am. On December 19th I was feeling cramping at around noon but I didn't think anything of it because I had been cramping through my whole pregnancy. Then around 3:00 the pains started to get stronger. I thought I could be in labor but I didn't want to be wrong so I ignored it. My fiance and I ended up going out for dinner that night with his family and the pains got really bad at the restaurant. I went to the bathroom the second we went into the restaurant.  I felt like I was going to throw up and I want to sit down and be by myself. I realized these pains were five minutes apart. I called the doctor and he told me to come to the hospital. By the time we got there I was already 4cm. The pain was horrible but I didn't scream at all I just breathed through the contractions. Eventually, I asked for the epidural but the guy took forever to get to my room to give it to me. I didnt get the epidural until I was 8 cm. I started pushing an hour after I got the epidural. After a half hour after pushing I gave birth to my beautiful baby boy. To be honest it wasn't bad at all and I will be doing it again for sure!

meglennox
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:05 PM

i'm all for the drugs :) they just don't work for me. :(  i had an epideral for both and neither time did it completly take away the pain.  i felt everything in at least half my belly and one leg each time.  but both times i couldn't move my legs until at least 2-3hours after i pushed the boys out.  the second time i tried a drug that was through an iv, can't remember the name, and i will never do it again.  didn't dull the pain at all and i had to keep my eyes closed.  i couldn't keep my eyes focased on anything for more then a sec or two.  made me really dizzy.  i was givin pitocin both labors and i've heard that it makes the pain worse so next time i will try my hardest with out it and see if i can make it drug free...

mommy0815
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I had to have the drugs but they only helped me a little. with both my kids, the epidural only worked on one side...and OMG did it hurt!!!!! I have to give props to the moms that do it with no drugs.

kaidensmommy09
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:16 PM

i had an epidural and it was WONDERFUL!

hgibsonorc
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM

With my first, I had a hospital birth with all the drugs. I didn't really know any better and had no idea what they were doing to me. It ended in a C section.

My second was born five months ago here at home all natural, no drugs. If I had to chose between the two, the second was soooooo much better! I did feel the pain, but I was able to move around, get in and out of the tub, have nice candles and beautiful music and the very best part was after he was born, I got to cuddle up in my own bed with my new baby and have my husband wait on me. It was wonderful and changed my life! :)

marywilliams
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I had no choice..... it was Thanksgiving Day and most of the staff was "on call".  The anesthesiologist (sp?) would have taken 20 minutes to get to the hospital and then by the time the paperwork was done and the epidural taken effect the baby would have already been out!  I never decided fully one way or the other so it was all up in the air.

I got to L&D at 3:45 and Caroline was born at 5:36!  Fast labor is hereditary and my mom had 4 very fast deliveries!

I'm glad because any longer and someone would have had to do something!  This next one will be up in the air as well.  We'll see how it goes and hope for the best!

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

briannasmom2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Same here,both times.

Quoting kaidensmommy09:

i had an epidural and it was WONDERFUL!

mari622
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I got five and believe me,All five times I ask for drugs but it still hurt, epidural all it did was make me sleepy and went i had a contraction the pain was there like nothing,It hurts like crazy I'm glad I'm done with having kids five is enough!!:))~

MedicturnedMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Drugs all the way!!!!!!!

My water broke and I did not have a single contraction, so I got Pitocin. After 3 hours on the Pitocin I got Fentanyl in my IV. It helped a little but no where near as good as the epidural. It was not nearly as bad as the contractions were! I actually ended up getting 2 because the doctor pulled it out the first time on accident so she had to do it twice. Lucky for me she had already given me a bolus of medicine so I didn't feel a thing. After 18 hours of labor I ended up getting a c-section, so I was happy to have it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)