Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you tell people your baby name(s) before the baby arrives?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM
  • 23 Replies

I've heard so many horror stories about people announcing the baby's name before the birth and then hearing nothing but negative comments.  My sister went through it and it was a nightmare.

I was home for Christmas (at my mom's house) and my sister and I were looking through a baby name book my mom got back in the 1960s.  We were commenting on some of the names and we both mentioned that we like the name Isobel.  My aunt chimed in that my grandfather's first wife was named Isabelle and that we don't mention that name in the family.  Ok, well after 30+ years I had never heard that.  Anyway, I never met the woman nor seen a photograph.  She ran off and left my grandfather with 2 kids that my grandmother raised as her own.

In a way it ticks me off because now a name that I like (whether or not I'd use it) is ruined.

Thankfully, my husband and I agreed to keep our name choices quiet until the baby was born.  I'm sure we'll do the same thing with this one.

Anyone else have any baby naming stories to share?

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma0ffive
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM

through all my pregnancies (5) people had to put in there 2 cents about our name choices, so finally with our last we didn't tell anyone until "D" day.......  nobody is going to say anything negative about a name u have already named your child, (at least not to ur face)  lol

MaddysMomma2008
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I never tell baby names, i throw a few around but dont tell the decision because somebody always has something negative to say, or someone tries to use the name for their own child.. i drives me nuts..

DarthMom001
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Hubby and I didn't even talk to each other about baby names until the kids were born. We figured we wouldn't have a clue until we met them face to face. Adam was 3 days old when he was named and Sara was 2 days old. I hadn't even considered the name Adam. I wanted to name him Peter. But when he was born I knew he wasn't Peter. And then someone said Adam and I knew that was his name. When Sara was born I knew within an hour that she was Sara. But hubby had said before that we couldn't use the name Sara because it was his ex-girlfriend's name. Who cares? They dated like 15 years ago.  

No matter what name you choose, someone will come up with some reason you shouldn't use it.

Kydins.Mommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:25 PM

my husband and i decided to name our son Kydin and people didnt really like the name but u know what. it shouldnt matter what other people think. we both loved the name so we wasnt going to change the name that we both finally decided on and that we loved just because some other people didnt like it.  

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I did with my first two, I will not this time. 

babie113
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:38 AM

we had our sons name picked out years in advance and there was no way in hell anyone could convince me to change it ..we told everyone what his name was going to be and lucky for us everyone loved it ...hes called Avian

JoeyJrsMomma
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM

We didn't tell anyone! We didn't know the sex of the baby which drove everyone crazy and we would not give out any names! When we had a boy and we told them the name, they all asked what the girl name was and we still won't give it up so the next time we have a baby, if  it's a girl we can use it!

Katt709
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM

No we didn't. I just didn't want to hear anybody tell me they didn't like what we picked! When the baby's here and already named, what can they say!? 

We originally didn't want to know the sex either, so we had 2 names picked. But when we found the sex, accidently, we told what the girl name would have been. And my sister said she hated that name. I was hurt and sad that she would say that. But that's the reason we kept the names to ourselves. I didn't want that! If someone hates my DS name now they can shove it! :) I love it and I think it fits him perfectly!

KMommy1028
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I hate when people give their opinion... I had my baby back in October and everytime people would ask names I'd cringe... just cause you know they want to give their opinion and suggestions- which is annoying.  I told people and didn't care what they thought when we decided on the baby's name... next time I won't be telling anyone until he's/she's born... (ok so I have 2yrs... haha).  The only people that really knew not to comment was mothers!!!! (god bless yall) haha. 

bluestarr80
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM
With Kyle I did, Zach we kept the name and gender a secret!

in lovebaseballbaby boy

Steve & Sarah '01      Kyle '04            Zach '09

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)