• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There is poop everywhere!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

My dd KNOWS when she has to poop or pee...and can hold it pretty well...She also knows the concept of using the potty...but she WON'T! She'll sit on it, and sit on it, and sit on it, and sit on it...and then stand up and pee in the floor. She takes her diaper off in order to poop or pee now and then comes and tells us AFTER there is a mess to clean up. We've tried scolding her and telling her to pee in the potty. We've tried taking her to the potty through the day. We've even popped her once or twice because she KNOWS she's doing something wrong...because she goes in her room, closes the door, and then does  it.  But when she's on the potty, she refuses to go in it! How can I fix this???

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mish2575
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I dont know if its too late for this or how you would impliment it now that she feels like a bad girl for not going on the potty but i read something in parenting magazine that states you can give positive reinforcement.  When she sits on the potty for a long time trying and gets up; just tell her she gave it a good try.  make a big deal about what a good girl she is for trying to go on the potty.

I havent potty trained any kids so i dont know how well it will work but i'll probably go that route when the time comes.

I guess you could also make her sit on the potty until she does go.  maybe if she gets up in the morning if you can catch her before she pees - she'll have to pee really bad and hopefully it woudnt take that long.  I dont think i'd recommend it with poop. LOL

jasminesmom09
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM

maybe she isn't ready for potty training 

stephanie, 21 mom to jasmine (jan 12, 09). ,
yahoo: jasminesmom11209

mommy041807
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I am not sure how old your child is but I kinda agree with the first person that responded.  If you are making a bigger deal over her pooping and peeing in the wrong place then you are when she sits on the potty then she is reacting to the attention.  Children will do things for attention, whether they are getting positive or negative reactions.   My suggestion would be to reward her while she is sitting on the potty.   Hang a poster near the potty and give her a small sticker every time she sits on the potty and a big one everytime she actually goes in the potty.  If she stands up and pees or poops, dont make a huge production, just take her to time out right away and clean it up. Tell her only big girls get big stickers for going in the potty.   This worked with Nikki when she was little.  She is 15 now...LOL. 

Hope this helps.  

babies.gif picture by ColoringPagesByTanya

ErinHill226
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM

That's actually a good idea. I had considered giving her some sort of reward for going on the potty. And just so you all know in my defense, my husband watches her most of the day while I'm in here working...and he has a hard time being patient when she poops everywhere. I'm going to have a talk with him about not making such a big "to do" over the mess...He's usually very patient with everything else, but something about poop on the furniture busts his britches. lol. He's not mean to her...but he does scold her and make her do time-out. Maybe ignoring her would work better like you said and only giving her attention when she does it right.

I'm almost sure she's ready for it though because she knows when she needs to go and can hold it long enough to sneak in her room, shut the door, take her pants off, take her diaper off, and pee in the corner. If she can handle all that in the two minutes our heads are turned...I know she could handle actually peeing IN her potty!

Mae264
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:17 AM

My son is 2 1/2 and he does that to. We are trying so hard to potty train him we've tried bribery everything he knows what the potty is for he'll even tell you but he won't use it. When we are working on potty training him we put him in big boy underwear hoping he won't like being wet and will start using the potty today he pooped all over himeself and I think he was playing in it by the time I noticed since he was in his room being quiet and I was feeding the baby I didn't think anything of it and it was so gross I can't wait untill he is potty trained.

bzymami
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM

omg, thanks for sharing, I am new here, figuring out how this works. Maybe u can find my post....I am having this trouble too. And, I DO NOT pressure the potty training at all. We have a potty and the seat u put on the big one, we have books, and praise him when he goes. It has happened TOO MANY times he'll be alone in his room supposed to be napping and I find it everywhere. disgusting. Love him, but it is very frustrating. I am ready for this phase to pass!

mamacakes3
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Sounds like she might not be ready. With my kiddos I was told by their dr's to never scold them for accidents. And to try rewards, we did sticker charts. For my little girl, I bought the padded cloth like toddler panties for when we were home and she hated the feeling of them getting wet and she suddenly made it to the potty all the time. And she was very excited to move up to the big girl panties after that and I let her pick them out. Really hope that works for my infant when it's time to potty train her! Good luck Mama!

DreamLvr1432
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM

If she knows when she needs to go and takes her diaper off to go, then she's ready.  There is a difference between an accident and purposefully taking her clothes off to go on the floor.  I agree, it very well, could be for the attention.  My middle Ds was completely potty trained at age 2, to the point that he wore underwear out in town.  My oldest came home from Grammy's at the end of the summer and within 3 days he was going on my floor again.  It was for the attention because he wasn't the center of attention anymore.  I always made a big deal out him going on the potty with stickers, etc.  But at that point, he knew it was wrong to go on my floor so he did get a swat on the rear when he did that.  Another thought...if she is always going in her room, maybe put a potty in her room.  Again, make a big deal when she uses it.  If she doesn't, remind her that big girls don't go in the potty and she doesn't get her reward when she goes on the floor.  Be sure to have something that she really enjoys and will miss not having.  Good luck!!

Mom71307
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 7:43 AM

First, if you are trying to potty train, DITCH THE DIAPERS!  If you are not trying to potty train, put them on backwards or with a strip of duct tape so she can't make a mess.  If trying to potty train, reward when she goes on the potty and she helps clean it up when she doesn't.  Our daughter pooped in the tub after she was potty trained so we began the cleaning process but then gave her a disinfecting wipe and she wiped out the tub with it... she has not pooped in the tub again! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
LKLMommy
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM

im thinking she may not be ready. how old is she? also, you NEVER want to disapline a child for having an accident! thats totally sending them the wrong message about the potty and you are going to make things harder for yourself. i had 6 weeks of poop accidents with my son when he was potty training.....you clean it up, and move on. you tell the child, we poop in the potty, not the floor/diaper/underwear/whatever. and just keep giving positive reinforcements when they do go potty where they are suppose to.

if shes not using the potty regularly, then shes probably not ready and by pushing her, you are just going to prolong potty training. my first DD potty trained at 22 months on her own....and my DS was 6 weeks past his 3rd bday before he was fully trained. every child potty trains at different times.

also, going into her room to poop doesnt mean she "knows its wrong"....some kids just want privacy! my son would go hide under the table to poop, and my DD would go to her room to poop as well. and maybe, shes going into her room to poop because she feels that pooping in general is "wrong" because shes been punished for it before.....maybe she doesnt understand its WHERE she pooped that was incorrect, and not the act of pooping itself. just be patient with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)