Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone make homemade baby food?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM
  • 6 Replies

My DS is 8 months old, and I have been making all the food he's eaten so far. I just had a couple of questions I hope y'all can help me with!! I look all over online, but I trust our group way more haha.

1. How long can I keep the food in the fridge? I mix his food with fresh pumped breast milk so I'm thinking up to 2 days?

2. I want to make him some macaroni & cheese, but I wasn't sure if he was old enough to have cheese yet and if so what kind should I use?

3. When can he start eating eggs?

pink ribbonInspired Daughter to my cancer-a$$-kicking Mother & encouraging, amazing and supportive Father...So in Love Girlfriend to my fell in love at first sight couldnt imagine anyone better best friend/ loving boyfriend... and "in-awe" Mommy to our very own gift from the Lord above, our precious baby boy.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommy041807
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I used to make homemade foods for my twins. To answer you questions,

1.  I think you are right with the 2 days in the frig but you can freeze alot of stuff.  I used to freeze stuff in ice trays.   Then pop the cubes out and put them into baggies.  This made the perfect serving sizes.  

2.  I know at 8 months you can give them yogurt and mild cheeses.   I used just the box mac and cheese so I am not sure what kind of reg cheese you could use.  I used to put the macaroni in a baggie and use a rolling pin to smash it up really small before cooking.  It saved time, not having to cut it all up after cooking.

3.  While I started my children on eggs at about 8 month, food alergies dont run in my or their fathers family.   I did find the following information about eggs and babies though.  http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/when-can-my-baby-eat-eggs.html

If you are still uncomfortable, just give your pediatrician a quick call and check with them.

Hope this helps and good luck.

babies.gif picture by ColoringPagesByTanya

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Excellent advice above, exactly what I would have said.   For the eggs, we started yolks around 8 months and whites around 1 year.

(BTW, I would love to have you in my new group, we are in need of people with experience, see link in my siggie!) :)

Katt709
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I get most of my info on making baby food from http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/  Really this is a great website!

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I think you're doing just fine.  I would not give the whole egg yet, just the yolk. My ped told me that there is something in the whites that can potentially be harmful before age 1.  I used to make scrabled yolks with a little cream cheese mixed in.  DS LOVED it.  I have a really picky eater, so I used to hid things in his food.  I would make mac and cheese, and put pureed butternut squash in it.  I would stream and mash califlour (sp?) in his mashed potatoes.  Stuff like that.  I made everything just like I would eat it, but mash, blend, or puree everything so he could eat it.

Michele375
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

awesome.... so helpful! thanks y'all 

proudmamafeb
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM

WHen my kids were old enough I just started putting whatever I made for dinner in a food processor and gave it to them! I of course waited to season it until after I took out the kids proportions. It worked wonders for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)