• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

organic baby food?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, I recently started giving my 6 month old baby food, just veggies because she wont eat fruit unless it is normal fruit cut in tiny pieces...

Anyways, today I went to the supermarket and got some wild harvest organic step 1 baby food...  Then since all the had was banana and applesauce I got her some beech nut regular baby food in other flavors so she can try them... 

I was reading the labels and the wild harvest has, for example, sweet potatoes and water...  Then I got her one beech nut butternut squash and it has butternut squash and water...  So, what's the difference?  Is it the way the ingredients are grown?  The extra 4 cents for the wild harvest brand lol?

Oh and I must add, I buy a few wild harvest foods and they are awesome, specially the organic jasmine rice, that's why I figured, hell, for 4 more cents I might as well try it kwim?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TonyaLea
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Organic baby foods are generally all ingredient, no extras like fillers, colors, or preservatives, but so are many other baby food brands.  The real difference is in how they are grown: no chemical fertilizers, no chemical pesticides, no genetically modified products, etc.  Organic milk, eggs and meat also have specific standards for how the animals are treated and housed.

When you get to the foods for older babies, or in baby cereal, you will really see a difference in the number of ingredients.

Luvmybooskies
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

See, I know the definition of "organic", but I thought all baby food was grown this way, which got me thinking that when they label it organic they do it so they can charge more. I could be wrong, but I thought that all baby food was grown as pure as possible. ( I was actually going to post this the other day)

Quoting TonyaLea:

Organic baby foods are generally all ingredient, no extras like fillers, colors, or preservatives, but so are many other baby food brands.  The real difference is in how they are grown, no chemical fertilizers, no chemical pesticides, no genetically modified products, etc.  Organic milk, eggs and meat also have specific standards for how the animals are treated and housed.

When you get to the foods for older babies, or in baby cereal, you will really see a difference in the number of ingredients.

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I always play it safe and assume if they could they would label it organic, so if they are not labeling it, it is not likely grown that way.

Luvmybooskies
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Good point because I know organic food  has that USDA organic stamp on it. That's what I always look for.

Quoting TonyaLea:

No, if they could they would label it organic, so if they are not labeling it, it is not likely grown that way.

bpelzel
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM

i dont buy anyhting organic..i dont feel that it is really anyhting different...but everybody has there own opinion..i know plenty of people who buy it and they swear by it...

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I think that everyone can do what they feel is the best they can do for their babies, but I just thought I would mention that some organic foods are proven to contain significantly less pesticide residue as regular produce, especially the "dirty dozen" that is known to absorb more pesticides than other foods, which include peaches, apples, strawberries, carrots, and pears...all things you find in baby food.  I always make sure to buy the dirty dozen organic, the rest I tend to go by price.

Quoting bpelzel:

i dont buy anyhting organic..i dont feel that it is really anyhting different...but everybody has there own opinion..i know plenty of people who buy it and they swear by it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)