Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitter question

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

How old was your little one when you started usuing a baby sitter? How did you decided who it was going to be? What do you pay them per hour?

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2. mod

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marywilliams
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM

We haven't used a true babysitter yet.  My husband has plenty of family in town so we usually just call one of them.  We just pay what we seems appropriate for the time of day and length of babysitting.

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

JewelsE
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM

We are fortunate in the fact that both our parents live locally, and they love watching our little one if we ever want a date night...I mean...who doesn't want to spend time with their grandbaby?  It is great for us, too, because it doesn't cost us anything.  As he gets older (he is only ten months right now) we will probably find a regular baby-sitter to use, but we will see...  For now it is nice to have the grandparents watch him because it makes me feel comfortable leaving him with people I know and trust.  Then again we only go on dates every once in awhile and usually only for a few hours. 

When/If we pursue a regular baby-sitter, we will probably talk to other couples we know for suggestions...either that or look for someone within our church.  That is how I got a majority of my baby-sitting jobs as a teenager...through word of mouth throughout members of the church.  Not that all teenagers who attend church are who you want watching your child, but it is a good basis to start with.  I would of course interview them and have them meet my child...make sure they both seem comfortable with each other.  Also the first time I used a new baby-sitter I would probably not be gone long...perhaps go grab a coffee and return to see how everything goes and then leave for longer amounts of time.  That is just me, though.

As far as how much to pay, you would probably have to look into the going rates in your area...talk to other parents or even to your potential baby-sitter.  I know one thing...if you make it worth their time, they are usually willing to keep their schedule open for you...at least that was my experience.

robibuni
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Honestly, that's a good question. I'm being faced with this right now, actually.

I'd like a babysitter for Ariel on Valentine's Day and on March 3rd for DH and I's anniversary. DH's mom lives an hour away but I really can't stand her watching my child. She gives her coke and cookies (SHE'S ONLY 9 MONTHS!!) and doesn't respect my wishes as a mother so I like her to be around DD as little as possible. So while she's watched her in the past, I'd much rather get a babysitter for DD!!

Anyhow, I'm thinking of using Craigslist to look for someone, or maybe looking into college friends who don't have any kids maybe watching her. I'd like to pay just a flat price for a babysitter. Like, on our anniversary, I'd like to go to dinner and a movie. So you assume that's about 4-5 hours, I'd be willing to give a sitter $50 for that.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

-PB
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I haven't used a sitter yet.  Both mine and DH's family live out of state.  Someone had suggested sittercity.com.  You can find a sitter in your area, pick qualifications you require, level of experience, background check, and how much you are looking to pay.  Pretty cool!

http://www.sittercity.com/

You can even find a pet sitter or a tutor.  ;-)

laceynelson
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Quoting robibuni:

Honestly, that's a good question. I'm being faced with this right now, actually.

I'd like a babysitter for Ariel on Valentine's Day and on March 3rd for DH and I's anniversary. DH's mom lives an hour away but I really can't stand her watching my child. She gives her coke and cookies (SHE'S ONLY 9 MONTHS!!) and doesn't respect my wishes as a mother so I like her to be around DD as little as possible. So while she's watched her in the past, I'd much rather get a babysitter for DD!!

Anyhow, I'm thinking of using Craigslist to look for someone, or maybe looking into college friends who don't have any kids maybe watching her. I'd like to pay just a flat price for a babysitter. Like, on our anniversary, I'd like to go to dinner and a movie. So you assume that's about 4-5 hours, I'd be willing to give a sitter $50 for that.

I asked around with my friends to see if any of them had a teenage daughter that wanted some extra cash.  We letter her sit a couple times for a couple hours here and there and when we decided that we liked her and wanted to start using her for longer time frames we paid for her to take the babysitter class at the local college that got her CPR and First aid certified for infants.

april80s
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:33 PM

My best friend's mom is going to be babysitting for me.  Still not sure how  much we're gonna pay her.  She said it's up to me cause we can't afford a lot.  She won't be starting for another few weeks though cause I'm still off work. 

JBDsmommy08
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM

My son was about 3 months when I left him with someone and was 14 months when he was at a regular day care.

Honeybun09
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM

My DD started an in-home daycare at 10 months. It's $35/day for an infant.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, anti-spanking and time-out, anti-CIO, wanting another baby but waiting, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, training to be a child care assistant, natural family planning (no birth control AT ALL) mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

Have a Baby? Join us in the Babies group! ~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~

erei28
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM

With our first we only had family watch her until we moved out here and by then she was 3. So we know have 3 and 1 and that's when we started having real sitters. I only have girls that are 16 and older that have had the CPR training watch my kids. I have had one exception, its sisters that are 13 and 15 and they had the cpr and they are very mature! Payment? I pay $2per kid per hour. If its less then $20 I just hand them a $20. It might sound cheap but I also order them pizza or have dinner for them and my kids are in bed by 8pm and we never leave before 6pm. and for the sisters I did pay $30 so that they would have more to share.   

Renee02
by on Jan. 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I have a 4yr old son and a 14 month old daughter..I started to get a babysitter at age 3yrs old and a infant..I interviewd a couple people..I wanted a certain age limit which was between 16-20yrs old..Idk why..I think it is because I rather have a younger person than me because it would feel weird to me..I am 27yrs old...I had a 16yr old at the time, she is now 17yrs old, she is in HS..1st thing she did when she walked into my door was welcome my kids, gave them hugs and played with them..I LOVED that because she jumped right in..Her mother came along as well to make sure this wasn't a joke and was safe, etc..Which is perfectly fine..My sitter is such a sweetheart and m kids adore her! She doesn't charge a certain amount..I just give her between $25-40 total a day whenever I do have her which I use her for date nights..I made sure the person is experience in the ages I have and ask them what they do with them like games and stuff like that..Asked them are they comfortable in feeding them, especually the infant at the time when hiring..Etc...

I am a babysitter as well..I charge either $3 an hr per child (we are military and that is what the military daycares do so figured to be fair plus I know how hard it is to afford a sitter)..OR I charge just $25 a day total if it is going to be longer than 4hrs..I play with them, teach them, feed them, nap time (if needed), etc..I always have the parents meet me 1st to talk and meet my kids and see my home..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)