Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby's Schedule

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM
  • 6 Replies

Okay, my son is 4 months old and everyone keeps saying that things would be so much easier if I put him on a schedule. The thing is, he's always growing and needing new things - so I don't think it's right (for us) to force him to eat and sleep at certain times of the day. My son knows what he needs. He'll tell me when he's hungry, and when he's tired. I know that I will need to get him on a schedule as he gets older, but I don't feel very inclined to rush into that right now. What are your views on setting strict schedules for infants?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
august_baby_09
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM

we were pretty lucky my daughter went on a schedule when she was about 6 weeks old.  But it was nothing we did she just did it herself i guess.  She usually eats and sleeps about the same time everyday.  It makes it nice because we can plan when we need to go out or when is a good time to have people come over to see her cuz we know when she will be happy and when it will be meltdown time lol.  It is nice but its not something i would have forced her to do like i said we just got lucky and she did it lol.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
PoMonster
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Quoting august_baby_09:

we were pretty lucky my daughter went on a schedule when she was about 6 weeks old.  But it was nothing we did she just did it herself i guess.  She usually eats and sleeps about the same time everyday.  It makes it nice because we can plan when we need to go out or when is a good time to have people come over to see her cuz we know when she will be happy and when it will be meltdown time lol.  It is nice but its not something i would have forced her to do like i said we just got lucky and she did it lol.

Yeah, I've been pretty fortunate too. But he still goes crazy crap sometimes that leaves me sitting here like "Whaaaa?". Lol. That's when people try telling me I need to put him on a schedule.

McKs0820
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I didnt do anything to put Aiden on a schedule. She goes to sleep at like 12am or 1 but she is slowly going to sleep earlier, there's nothing I can do to change it so I just let her do it herself and she just takes a nap, usually 2 in the day when shes tired

DyerMaker
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

My son is 7 months old. I feed on demand, but I have noticed that he seems to have formed his own schedule. He wants to go to bed about the same time every night, and he has 2 naps during the day that are pretty routine too. I never felt like I forced a schedule on him. He kind of just did it by himself. I don't freak out if his usual nap time is earlier or later, or if he wants to play at 2 am. He's a baby. Babies go through phases... Like when he cut teeth, things got all wacky for a few days.. or when he hit a growth spurt he wanted to nap longer and eat more. It is soooo rare that he deviates from his routine though. I will say that we do follow his lead with bathing and bedtime. We usually can tell by the time he has downed his 8 oz bottle around our dinner time.

Rachael420
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I didn't think it was necessary to put my son on a schedule.  We basically let my son set the schedule and, other than growth spurts/teething etc, he had himself on a pretty set schedule on his own.  He has gotten up at 7 am and gone to bed at about 7pm for as long as I can remember (he's 22 months).  The only thing that has really changed in his routine since he was 5-6 months old is the length/number of naps he takes and now eating 3 meals a day with snacks.  I think it's easier for all to let them set their own schedule.

asil
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:05 AM

i'm a firm believer in that children will set THEIR own schedule, you should work life around their times as needed.  that said... let me explain.

both my girls wake up, are up for 5 hours... then nap for 2.  then they are up for 5 and go to bed for 12 hours.  this happens, on their own, without my pushing it.

if we get up at 8 am... the day follows the same routine as it does when we get up at 11am.

if my girls are hungry, they eat... and also i have noticed this is actually right around the same time every day, depending on our level of activity.  again,  not by my pushing, i feed the girls when they want something.

i don't think life is any easier pushing something... i think then you end up with more mama's upset that their kids won't sleep or won't nap... or won't sleep in their own beds,... or are not hungry at dinner but want to snack all night.  your child is PROGRAMMED to listen to their own body... much unlike us adults who can go for hours neglecting the fact that we are tired or hungy... let them do what is natural for them... and you will find it's really scheduled! ha!

so... yeah, that's what i think! (oh and my girls are 32 months and 16 months... they have both set their own schedules and have been on the same schedule - with the exception of napping when my youngest was little - since about 6 weeks old.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)