Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long to breast feed?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm thinking about stopping breast feeding my DS at 6 months. Any thoughts?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
asil
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

i'm an advocate for nursing as long as possible for you and your baby... but then again, if YOU decide that it's right to stop at 6 months for you and your baby... by all means that's what you should do!

VintageWife
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I'm not sure why you are asking us. Do you feel bad about it or just want someone to say its okay?

Me personally-My oldest weaned himself at 13 months. My second is 34 1/2 months and he still nurses to sleep at night. I am 5 months pregnant and will nurse her as long as she wants also.

DyerMaker
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Mama, do what you feel comfortable with! I will tell you that nutritionally, you aren't going to find a better food for your baby. Plus, I end up spending around 200 bucks a month in formula alone. I wish I could take advantage of my own free supply! I will say however, that most of the women in my family weaned about the time teeth started coming in. I tried to breastfeed and failed after 9 weeks, so I'm not the best role model for EBF.  Good luck with what you decide to do!

VintageWife
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Oh yeah....I forgot about the teeth thing till she pointed it out. If that is what you are afraid of, not all kids bite. Neither one of mine did. I think the oldest did once and I gave it a firm *NO* and that was the end of it.

Mom71307
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Children NEED breastmilk or formula until 12 months... you would HAVE to switch to formula and spend a ton of $$ for the next 6 months.  Also, 6 months is pretty easy... why NOT keep going?  And, the world health organization recommends BFing for TWO YEARS at least and allowing a child to self wean.  The AAP says 2 years as well and self-weaning also.  I am BFing my 2 1/2 yr old AND my 5 month old...

coopersmommy821
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I have noticed that my milk production is going down. I had planned on nursing for the first year but am not sure I'll make it. I have heard there are suplements I can take to help keep the milk flowing. He has a tooth already and I haven't been bit so that's not a huge worry. My main concern is that I won't be able to keep up.

christaberk
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I believe in child-led weaning. Child will wean when child is ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)