Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothers of toddlers!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM
  • 5 Replies

How in the world do you keep up with your kids?? LOL I am so tired I can not stand it! My kids seriously some days I wish I had the energy they did they run around and get into everything imaginable, I cant even manage to keep my decorations ont he walls half the time they are so wild!! lol They even climb up on th etable, counters and bathroom sink! They are absloutley fascinated with water and I get them down and pat their butt and they still do it!! I am to the point where I want to put a lock on everything in this house so they cant touch it! LMAO!!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
marywilliams
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Caroline tries.  I just have the living room baby-proofed so she can have the run of it.  The kitchen is barricaded by a gate/fence, the bathroom door is kept shut as are the bedroom doors.  I'm working on getting the bedrooms done so I can let her loose in there.  If I'm really tired, I can have her in the living room and lie on the sofa to watch her.  I just try to make it to nap time and then take one myself.  Not sure how that's going to work when baby #2 arrives!

asil
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 4:06 AM

i have a 32 month old and a 16 month old... they are FULL of energy... but i found the trick is really centering their energy and letting them do the things they think are fun!  my kids LOVE water too... and would stand and let the water run in the sink for hours!  so... instead they get a bath almost every day, and most days we don't even use soap or wash hair... they just hop in and play!  and while they  play, i catch up on cleaning the rest of the bathroom, opening mail, paying bills... all while watching from the safety of the toilet! ha!

my oldest is destrcutive,... if she finds paper, it's in a million pieces.  so... i try to "encourage" her to do some art projects that include ripping paper... or i'll give her the junk mail and let her stand at the trash can and shred it! ha!  she really loves doing that!

so... i guess, yeah, i'm tired, it's hard to keep them both interested and under control... but they seem much calmer if i find ways to put their energy to good use.  we do have free play, dont get me wrong, but when they are getting a bit too crazy, i reel them in with an activity.  sometimes i just play "simon says" with my oldest - its cute to watch her little sister try to keep up with her - and she'll run in place, hop, jump, bounce a ball, sit still... etc.  it really is just a matter of taking her energy and centering it on doing something... rather than destroyting the house.

the counter, table, couch, and chairs are OFF limits for climbing in our house.  you may sit on a chair or on the couch... but we don't ever allow them on the table or counters.  (even when helping with something, i come down to their level) and they just somehow know... not to do it!

good luck, they can be HARD to keep up with! (and we're TTC #3... i must be crazy!)

1wildchild
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 5:07 AM

We keep a baby gate up in the doorway of the bathroom. Mackenzie doesn't climb up onto the sink but she likes to play in the toilet water - discusting! We also keep all of our dining room chairs pushed all the way in under the table and if she tries to pull them out to climb up there we just push them back in and tell her no. If she doesn't listen she gets a smack on the hand, if we have to tell her again she gets a pat on the butt. If she absolutely will not listen no matter what we do we put the baby gate in her bedroom doorway and put her in her room and put her in her room for "time out".

As for energy.... I am the one to get up early with her every day and if I am more tired than usual I usually put the baby gate back up in her bedroom doorway and lay in her bed for an extra half hour while she distracts herself in her room. Also, I try and takes a nap when she does even if I have housework to do. DH is home during the days since he works nights so if she isn't ready for a nap but I need one then I make him watch her for awhile. He also helps with housework when I need him to.

ErinHill226
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM

We have a small house, and keep doors shut at all times with knob covers. She has free range of the kitchen, living room, and her bedroom. The fridge is kept latched and our cabinets don't have handles or knobs so she can't get in. (We took the knobs on some drawers off so she couldn't get in there either). So we pretty much keep "her" area baby proofed and other areas are off limits unless we are with her.

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Well, luckily, I have a pretty calm baby who likes to sit  front room and play with her toys. She rarely gets into things but when she does, I just keep redirecting her to somewhere else. We're putting on locks for the cabinets soon because she's been doing it more and more lately. My 12 month toddler still takes two naps a day so I get to rest when she rests so keeping up energy-wise is easy right now LOL. I'm sure I'll be in everyone elses boat later on.

Want to join an awesome group? Join TheSweetEscape:Uncensored today!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)