Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you use just one bottle that works or have a couple of those?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

for example my baby only likes the avent bottle, and i only have one, and every time after she has a bottle i have to clean that one and have it ready for when she uses it again, how many of you, have just one bottle that you use, or do you buy a couple of the same bottles, cause i am about to buy some more of these, i dont like having to wash it every single time. i feel like i am having to do double the work.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cass052005
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM

My daughter uses the Evenflo Comfi Nursers (BPA free).  We bought about 8 to start with, 3 of the smaller 6 ounce bottles and 5 of the 8 ounce ones.  When she was about 4 months old we bought a few more because they were starting to leak since we had washed and boiled them so many times.  We like to make sure we have at least 3 or 4 that we can make up and pack for daycare or long trips or such because we use the formula that is ready to pour.

asil
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 3:50 AM

we actually have 24 8oz glass bottles, and 12 4oz glass bottles... and 4-6 (i can't recall) 2oz glass bottles.  my girls would only use the gerber nuk orthodontic nipples, and glass was our bottle of choice. 

i HATED having to wash the bottles so often, so I got a bunch from Craigslist and good will.  Since we use glass, I didn't worry about how "clean" they were, we washed and boiled them and they were perfect!

i am one of those moms, who, when possible, gets everything ready the night before.  So i always would thaw and fill bottles with breast milk (and formula when needed) the night before, I also fill sippy cups with juice and water, or rice milk for my older girl.

now that they are both off bottles, i'm only using cups... but i LOVE these bottles!  they are just evenflo glass bottles, but i had enough to always have a spare in the diaper bag (with nipple) and one in each of our cars (bottle and nipple) and pleanty of clean ones at home.  with 2 kiddos under 2 (at the time) i didn't have time to be washing a bottle every feeding!

1wildchild
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Since I was nursing the majority of the time for the first 6 months we only bought one type of bottle, Gerber NUKs since they are supposed to be similar to breastfeeding. We had a bunch of bottles (which came in handy when she switched to formula). I think we had three 5 oz bottles and three 10 oz bottles. Luckily DD didn't have a problem switching from breast to the NUK bottles, even when she was just drinking pumped milk from the bottle and still nursing. Some people have to try a bunch of different brands if their baby doesn't like a certain type of bottle nipple.

She uses Munchkin sippy cups now. We tried Nubys when I needed to buy more cups but the nippy collapses for some reason, so we are sticking with Munckin.

babybluez303
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 5:57 AM

My little guy refuses all bottles. So if you have one that works that is awesome! I breastfeed so that may be why he refuses the bottles. Only wanted the boob! I tried so many different kinds that were soposed to be similar to the breast but he wouldn't take any of them. He won't even suck on a paci. But at 4 months I started him on sippy cups and by 5 months he was a pro at using the sippy cups.  I'm kinda glad that worked out for me that way since now I won't have to deal with issues taking the bottle or the paci away from him. 

MikkiD85
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 5:56 PM

When my daughters were babies (a long time ago, it seems like), I really liked using the Playtex bottles with the drop-ins because I was able to get most of the extra air/gas out of the bottle to help with their little tummys. With my first daughter, before I started using those bottles, I had a 4 oz. plastic Gerber bottle I used, (bpa free). She loved it.

This time around, I'm hoping on no bottles. Going to try the boobie thing. Lol.

cristina0709
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I heve tried maybe half a dozen bottles and DS only like the ones Walmart has. I think they are the REALLY cheap Parents Choise ones.

luvmyboysjj
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM

i have maybe 4-6 bottles. i tried dr browns at first but i didnt like taking 10min to wash one bottle due to it having like 5 parts to it, so we switched to the drop in bottles and then i didnt really like those either so then we just bought a few playtex ventaire and some of the walmart bottles and they work just fine.

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM

We have 3 of the ones that she uses.

Want to join an awesome group? Join TheSweetEscape:Uncensored today!

LoveMy2Boys426
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 6:22 PM

The ventaires were always my bottle of choice!  We had 3 and then a bunch of other cheaper bottles!

asil
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:23 PM

that's how my girls were too!  they were nursed until 4 and 6 months, but both were able to drink my pumped milk until at least 9-10 months of age (yes... i worked REALLY hard to pump enough! ha!) and they LOVED the gerber NUK nipples. 

the nurse in LDR recommended them, since they are the same shape as what my body is,... and i would never have tried them... but we did and they worked like a charm!

my girls REFUSED the crappy VentAir Playtex bottles, which was FINE with me, they always leaked, were plastic, and simply had too much going on... i often find myself opting for simpiler products... drop ins were a constant money sucker... it's not like other bottles that you purchased and that's it... you have to buy the bottle, and then continue to buy the liners... and i found myself washing the "bottle' portion of it after feeding anyhow... so it was a total waste!

Quoting 1wildchild:

Since I was nursing the majority of the time for the first 6 months we only bought one type of bottle, Gerber NUKs since they are supposed to be similar to breastfeeding. We had a bunch of bottles (which came in handy when she switched to formula). I think we had three 5 oz bottles and three 10 oz bottles. Luckily DD didn't have a problem switching from breast to the NUK bottles, even when she was just drinking pumped milk from the bottle and still nursing. Some people have to try a bunch of different brands if their baby doesn't like a certain type of bottle nipple.

She uses Munchkin sippy cups now. We tried Nubys when I needed to buy more cups but the nippy collapses for some reason, so we are sticking with Munckin.

PROUD OWNER OF...
baby/toddler coupons and more!... Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more! http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682 

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/2625

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh. http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

moms against cow's milk... a group for moms who choose, or have to remove cow's milk from their diet, or their child's.  benefits, alternatives, and comments!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/103768/  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)