Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Sick baby

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 18month old son has red inflamed gums, sore throat, and fever. I took him to the dr and she said its a virus that will go away in 2-3 days. Well today is day 5, and hes gotten worse. His fever has subsided, but his gums are SO red and swollen and painful. I can only get him to eat soft foods and he wont let me brush his teeth because it hurts so bad. Plus his breath is so stinky. I researed the virus that causes it and it said its a herpes type 1 virus--like the kind an adult gets from a cold sore. Do you know any remedies or medicines? Has your child had this? Should I take him to the dentist or dr?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:01 PM

To me it sounds more like strep. i would call the doc back or go to the er.

Honeybun09
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I would see a dentist about the gums. Doctors are not trained in teeth - that's why we have dentists. Not saying you're doing anything wrong but it might be something your doctor doesn't know very much about. Better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Kyliees_mommy08
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:10 PM

could be cutting teeth

Landonsmommy819
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Thanks but I dont think he's teething, he has all of his teeth except for the 2nd year molars and Ive been checking to see if they are coming in....

Quoting Kyliees_mommy08:

could be cutting teeth

Jones_Kitten
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM

If i were you  i would definetly take him to the doctor and get a second opinion if you have to.  Those syptoms sound exactly like herpes simplex virus 1.  Generally those  with HV-1 get mild to moderate fever and muscle aches, much like the flu, at the onset of a breakout.  Swollen gums are also very common as well as soreness in the throat.  If it's left untreated it can get pretty bad :/ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)