Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you decide on your baby's name?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:24 PM
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: How did you choose your baby's name?

Options:

baby name book/online

used family names

inspired by the arts (books, movies, etc.)

decided at the hospital

let someone else choose

other (because I can't list all the options)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

We chose family names (my mother's first name and my grandmother's maiden name) for Caroline.  We have a boy coming in June and haven't really started looking into names yet.  We will take a list of our top choices to the hospital and decide when he arrives.

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Artistachica
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I went through names online and books...I decided from there..

Also my sons middle name came from a UFC fighter from CA (where we are from) and well I guess thats what happens when you let your DF name them..lol...I'm just glad I talked him into using it for the middle name.

mcquistionmom2
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I went with "Other" because my oldest has family names, my 2nd has a family name for his middle name but his first name was inspired by a couple of my favorite shows and my daughter's middle name is also a family name but her first name came to me in a dream near the end of the first trimester. lol.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

shyone_91786
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM

For my DS first name it took almost the whole pregancy to decide on one name. Than one day I remeber a book that I had read from John Saul called Nathanial but the spelling came from the bible. HIs middle name comes from both of his great uncle. The funny thing is my uncle and my DS dad uncle have the same first and middle name so that is where I got Keith

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:58 PM

My daughter was picked from friends that I named her after although her middle name is also the feminine version of my brother, so her's is Katherine Danielle.  My son's name took more work.  My husband and I are both hockey goalies and he loves Miikka Kipersof (not sure on the last name spelling) a finnish goaltender in the NHL that plays for the Calgery flames.  So we picked a more normal name for the middle that sounded nice with the first to come up with Miikka Austin.  At first I had a real hard time remembering my son's name, he looked like my nephew but it was just tough to remember but now it's grown on me and I really like the name.  I'm glad I let me husband have his way.

e.v._Mom-2-B
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM

my son's name is Jayden Xavier

he chose his first name, I would say them out loud from the list we liked, and if he kicked really hard. he would like it, in the end, he chose Jayden, while Xavier is his dad's middle name

Honeybun09
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:03 PM

We looked online at Spanish girl names (my daughter is half Mexican) until one popped out. As soon as we saw Esmeralda, we KNEW that that was what we were going to name her. We picked it the day we found out she was a girl.

She has no middle name, but if I had had my way, she would have Elizabeth for a middle name because that's a family middle name in my family.

kary1124
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:06 PM

we named our son Jude William, jude was for the beatles song hey jude (not jude law), and william was my grandpas names

NorincoWoman
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:25 AM

My first son's name was Devon Slade. I had loved the name Devon since I was a child, and I was sure that was my first son was going to be. However, the middle name was really on a whim; it sounded right at the time. I'm still not 100% sure if it's 'actually a name'.

My second son's name is Jude Barrett. I actually let my son Devon pick it out, and he was a BIG music fan. So his first name was after The Beatles song, and Barrett was after Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd.

My daughter Maura Jane is a little different. Through a lot of troubles during my life in the last year, I have had a friend over the Internet that helped me with my daughter's name. I wanted my daughter's name to roll off my husband's tongue naturally (he is from Spain originally), and Maura was the first one. However, my friend picked out the middle name, and it fit perfectly.

MOMofK3C0
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:47 AM

We named our first daughter Kaydence Lee. Kaydence because my SO tried to get someone he knew to name her baby that and I thought that it was pretty and Lee for his middle name. I also spelled it with a K because my moms and my name starts with a K and I wanted to continue that.

Our second daughter is named Ciara Liana. We wanted something with my SO's same initials. Ciara came from me watching Days of Our Lives while in the hospital (Bo and Hopes daughters name). Liana because my MIL middle name is Lynette and I didnt want that one so we changed it a little.

ConnersMom03
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM

My kids are Conner David and Kaitlyn Bri.  I had to choose other because it was kinda a combination.  Conner we found on a babies name list (hadn't ever heard it before) and his middle name David is after my husband.  When I found out I was having a girl next time, I already knew I wanted to name her Kaitlyn because I've loved that name for years.  Her middle name, Bri we decided on at the hospital.  It was between Bri and Brianne and we went with the shorter.  We just like the name.

Loving wife to David and mom to 3 year old Conner (10-16-06) and baby Kaitlyn (10-27-09).
Childrens Toys and Playtime Group
http://www.cafemom.com/group/childrens_toys
Playtime is such an important part of a child's development.  Come join our group and hear about the latest toys and reviews, sales, toys events, and for ideas for toys that teach creativity and learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)