Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bath troubles! Help!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:49 PM
  • 25 Replies

recently my fiance && I got our own place, it's not a big thing, but it's an apartment, and well. My son, Jayden doesn't like taking baths! He'll cry and cry like crazy, last time I had to take him out b/cuz he was getting all red from screaming and crying && he wasn't breathing!

anyways, this happened like 2 or 3 days ago, I got C.S. on my door asking me if they could see my baby and stuff, I didn't have anything to hide, so I said yes, they asked me about the crying that the neighborhs have heard, && when I explained to them, they looked at me like I went bonkers! When I showed them, just by putting Jayden's foot in the tub w/ a little bit of water, Jayden started crying && bashing and wouldn't stop until I took him out of the bath. they looked at me and asked if he ever had a bad experience and I said no, he's been like that from day 1!

they told me sorry for the inconvenience and then they left, I just felt really bad b/cuz of it, and I'm scared that it'll happen again!

Jayden just doesn't like taking baths, he's 5 months, and he's crying and screaming until I get him out, as soon as he's out, he's acting like nothing, laughing and cooing and I'm worried.

will my baby always hate taking baths?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife43
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM

hhmm...never heard of that before. hopefully he'll grow out of it soon! can you put him in the tub with no water in it? have a lil bucket you can use for dipping the washcloth in and just wipe him down? i'd say use the tub faucet but it might scare him? sorry i'm not very helpful...

mommy2mason09
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM

this.......also wash cloth baths might be the best for awhile.....try to get him used to being around a bucket of water to show him that it is not a bad thing.

Quoting armywife43:

hhmm...never heard of that before. hopefully he'll grow out of it soon! can you put him in the tub with no water in it? have a lil bucket you can use for dipping the washcloth in and just wipe him down? i'd say use the tub faucet but it might scare him? sorry i'm not very helpful...

luvmyboysjj
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM

My only suggestion is giving him a spongebath like they have you do until the umbilical stump falls off. Then maybe try baths again in a few days or a week. Good Luck!

Honeybun09
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM

This is what I'd do.

Also maybe only fill a little water, increase it slowly as time goes on.

Quoting luvmyboysjj:

My only suggestion is giving him a spongebath like they have you do until the umbilical stump falls off. Then maybe try baths again in a few days or a week. Good Luck!

erinsmom1964
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I would also suggest you get him a bath seat.  some kids are scared by the size of the tub and how slippery it is.  I have used bath seats with all four of mine and never had a problem plus they make it much easier for us moms too.  You might get one put him in it in empty tub and mabe give him a little bucket and wash cloth to play with.  As he gets more comfortable maybe put an inch of water in and so on.  HTH

kary1124
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM

have u tryed to take in the shower with u? i know a few ppl that do that

verobearo69
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM

what about trying a shower? some babies do better with showers

Brays-mama
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Could you try sitting with him in the tub. I know that would be hard unless you have someone that could help you since you would also be wet. But then he might feel a little more at ease since his mommy is in there with him. Or have you tried bathing him in his kitchen sink? I know sounds wierd but I had to do this with my son at my moms one day and he liked that more than the bath tub. So i bought a infant bath tub that I set on my kitchen table to bath him cuz he would scream when we bathed him but has since out grown it thankfully.

cmhart
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:23 PM

A shower or just sponge baths. 

momof2andonly2
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Why did neighbors called the Child Services for? It is like people never heard a child cry before and thought that you were hurting him? Maybe what you should do is just give my a sponge bath. I had never had that problem before with my kids, but kids react to bath time in different ways, I suppose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)