Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a normal fear?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:56 AM
  • 7 Replies

Good morning - Hope everyone is having a good start to their day.

I just have a quick question, my daughter is going to be one month old on the 5th, we want more children eventually but not for at least 2 years. I got my first dose of depo the day I got discharged from the hospital yet I have this awful fear of getting pregnant again too soon. Now let me say- I know that babies are a blessing, it tooks us almost 4 years to get pregnant the 2nd time.... but I know having another baby before the 2 years would not be a good time. Does anyone else have this fear? My husband and I still haven't resumed our sex life since it hasn't been 6 weeks and I am afraid that when we do I will still not want to in fear of getting pregnant. Am I crazy or does anyone else posses this fear???

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2ljh
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:00 AM

I'm sorry you're so fearful.  Just remember a lot more women report failed birth control than ACTUAL instance.  BC MUST be taken properly, at the same time daily, and you definitely need to bear in mind that antibiotic use can decrease effectiveness.  Now you got the depo shot, so as far as the same time daily, you clearly don't have to worry about it.  I don't know about antibiotics though, so be sure to check into it.  Whenever you're on antibiotics, make sure to use a back up form of BC.  Birth control is 99.9% effective, the same as sterilization.  I really would try not to worry.  I have mirena (have had it for nearly 3 years) and I don't worry.  Another baby right now would NOT be great for us, but that's why I have mirena.  I know I can't trust myself to take a daily pill, so I went with a form of BC that works with my lifestyle and can allow me to plan my family accordingly.  I hope you can get over your fear.

babygrl92795
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:12 AM

I was on depo, and it took me over 3 1/2 years  to get pregnant AFTER my last shot. Depo is pretty effective. You could always use back-up protection on top of the depo if you are really worried.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Birth control when used correctly is highly effective. If you are on the pill and skip even just one day you are putting yourself at risk for getting pregnant. If you are very worried, you can always use a back-up protection. Since you are getting depo I think you should be fine!

Schleetle
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I agree with this it took 15 months of TTC after being off depo for a while, and only getting one shot for us to get pregnant. I personally fear Depo more than getting pregnant again, but anyway we don't plan on having anymore children sometimes I get nervous about the possibility.

Quoting babygrl92795:

I was on depo, and it took me over 3 1/2 years  to get pregnant AFTER my last shot. Depo is pretty effective. You could always use back-up protection on top of the depo if you are really worried.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

jesmoore27028
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I have this fear and my LO is almost one and I have a 3 yr old. I too am on the depo shot and get it at the 3 month mark each time. I was scared this last time that I was pregnant so I took a test and it was negative. This is my first experience with depo so I wasn't sure how effective it was until then. Congrats on the new baby and enjoy her. I think the fear will always be there just let it float to the back of your mind.

erinsmom1964
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I wish I had been more fearful  LOL  I was nursing full time and used spermicide and got pregnant with 3rd son when 2nd son was only 4 weeks old. We always say it was his time no matter what. I don't know much about the shots but from what the ladies are saying it sounds as if your covered.  He could always glove on top of it.  good Luck hon and try not to worry to much or you won't enjoy

Cassidysmom611
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Thank you all for your help and reassurance I have been trying hard to put in the back of my mind and enjoy my little princess because as my 5 year old has taught me time goes by way TOO fast. Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)