• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby wont sleep for the babysitter...Help

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

Some background info....

Ok my daughter is 5 months old and just had to start going to a baby sitter full time.  A lady from my church is a sahm and said she could watch her.  She had a rough first day but the past 3 days have been good (from what I was told).  My daughter while at home with me will take about a 30 min. nap in the early morn. and a longer nap sometime that afternoon and then a short nap again the early evening.  She goes to bed around 9 and sleeps for about 11 hours through the night. 

For some reason she doesnt like to take naps when she's not at home.  I have had a friend watch her a couple times for short periods of time where she didnt sleep but it wasnt a big deal cause she wasnt there long. 

My daughter also requires alot of attention.  Yea, she's a little spoiled BUT she's 5 months old so of course she likes to be held!  Well, I was just told today by my baby sitter that she wont be able to watch her after tomorrow.  She requires too much attention and she cant give my daughter the attention she needs and also her son who is 2.  So now I have to find another baby sitter before mon or put her in day care. 

Im just wondering if this is normal.  Anyone else ever go through this with your baby when you had to go back to work and leave him/her with a baby sitter?  I am concerned that she isnt going to be able to sleep and that cant be good for her.  I need her to be able to take a nap during the day. 

Im just needing some support....I dont want to have to put my baby in day care but it looks like I am going to have to.  I am concerned about her being in day care when she cant take naps.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wife.and.mommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM

my DD doesnt nap even when shes home... so thats totally normal... well at almost 9 months she is just beginning to nap...  but my DD has been STTN since she came home from the hospital.

as for her being very needy, unless you hire a one on sitter for your DD she is not going to get the attention YOU want or FEEL she needs from someone who has other kids or watches other kids...

as long as she gets between 10-12 hours of sleep (TOTAL PER DAY) she is fine.

babygrl92795
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I am a daycare provider-I don't think this lady gave your daughter enough time to adjust. I have never had a problem getting children to nap for me-AFTER they adjusted. It takes little ones a while to get used to a new environment. I think if she had given your daughter a chance, she would have napped for  her. It sounds like she did not want to take the time to help her adjust. :(

jessiwithkidz
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Both above are totally right. The sitter just didnt give your baby time to adjust. I have four *two at home constantly* and also watch a couple kids everyday. The first two weeks for the *sitter kids* were always rough

A thing I suggest to my new mothers to make it easier for me (if they take naps) is to wake them up a little earlier than normal the first week. Because I have a set schedule for the happenings of the day, I like to maintain that schedule and its easier if the new ones are a bit tired when they come. That way I can assure they get a nap and I can cook for the older ones or clean or whatever happens to be the case.

I have also noticed that when the new ones come they are very conscious of their surroundings and just "have to know" whats going on ;) They might miss something if they fall asleep. Especially when there are other kids around. 

Try taking a blanket of hers with her. Sometimes the smell of something from home will comfort babies. This way your sitter has something to lay her down with. When my first born went to the sitter for the first time she mentioned to me to send my shirt that i had worn the previous day so she could wrap it around a pillow or lay the baby on it. Worked like a charm everytime she said. 

But next time just ask the sitter to give her time to adjust. Thats really the underlying case. As for the "kiddos" i have watched it has usually taken one to two weeks for them to get used to the place and me.

Good Luck Momma!

lilmomma625
by on Apr. 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Thanks Ladies.

Yea, that's what I figured...it was just going to take some time for her to adjust.  She's not comfortable in new and different places so of course she's not going to sleep good and take her 3 hour naps.  I feel like she wasnt given a chance too.  I figured that this lady would have known it was going to be rough at first but I guess not. 

So now, she's going to be with someone else next week and have to start all over.  I feel bad about that.  Today she slept about 11 hours last night and went down for a nap about an hour and a 1/2 after getting up and she's still sleeping.  Its been almost 3 hours.  Poor baby!

austins_mommy09
by on Apr. 3, 2010 at 3:01 PM

my son (5 months old) will take naps and stuff at home, but he goes to daycare and will sleep maybe a total of 30 mins at day care compared to a morning nap for 30-40 mins and a nap after noon for 1 1/2 to 2 hours!!! He is getting better tho.

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Lol, your daughter is NOT spoiled at five months!

Have you tried giving her a t-shirt with your scent on it and letting her sleep with it while she's with the babysitter? That may make a world of difference.

Honeybun09
by on Apr. 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I work at a child care facility and it seems like this is very common. Most babies tend to act differently, including sleep and eating patterns, than they do at home. It will just take some time and consistency.

First Weight Loss Goal to be out of Overweight!

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

proudmamafeb
by on Apr. 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Babies tend to act differently when thay are taken out of their usual place, so being at a babysitter they will know that is not home so they will need time to adjust. Good luck and I hope you find someone to watch her. If I lived closer I would help you cuz both my kids were like that I held them constantly! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)