• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Naps PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

Ok, so I just wanted some other opinions and ideas on my situation. I am having a hard time getting my 20 month old twins to take a nap since I brought home my newborn on January 18th. Up until the time when Maximus was born, they were napping in the early afternoon, right after lunch (about 1pm) for atleast 2 1/2 to 3 hours. After Maximus was born he was in the NICU for 19 days (born 6 weeks early) and our schedule was thrown WAY off. I have always been very structured with them, but obviously the newborn doesn't have much of a predictable nap schedule and now Gabe and Georgia don't want to nap at all---which is not a good thing! They definetely still need naps! We are starting to have toddler meltdowns right around dinner time which never happened before. I try to still stick to a schedule as much as possible but everyone knows how hard that can be with a 3 month old in the house! Any ideas on how to get us back on track? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

~~Jayden Marie & Clinton James~~ 
Mommy to: Matthew (12), Michaela (11), Devin (9), Abigail (6), Gabriel (1), Georgia (1), and happily introducing Maximus Ryland, born on 12/30/09

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bieg9093
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Both of my kids gave up their afternoon naps in their own good time, but they didn't go cold turkey.  They both transitioned from afternoon nap to afternoon quiet time.  Maybe yours are ready too.

I had nothing to do with it.  I just noticed eventually that my girl would want tv and chocolate milk around the same time each afternoon and would get comfy in the Laz-y-boy with Softblanket.  After an hour or so of just vegging out,, she'd get up and be active again.  When it was time for the boy to give up his naps, I just gave him a chocolate milk and his Softblanket (and remembered not to sit in the Laz-y-boy) and her quiet time routine became his too.

Good luck!

Honeybun09
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Sorry I haven't dealt with this issue yet! I hope some mom's can give you some great advice!

First Weight Loss Goal to be out of Overweight!

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

Hands2Full
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I did consider that maybe they don't need naps anymore, but I really think they do! This is the first time I've had to encounter this---the other times I have brought home a newborn, my next oldest has been done with naps. So this is an entirely new problem for me. Take today for example. All the kids were up at 6:15 am so the older ones could get ready for school. I ran errands with the younger 3 all morning, came home and fed the twins lunch and tried to get them to nap...with no success! It is now 7pm, they have refused dinner and threw temper tantrums about getting a bath. We did not have this issue at all when they were napping. Their bed time before was around 9-9:30, but my guess is they will be screaming their way to sleep here very shortly. Basically what it comes down to is I'm getting frustrated, and I know I sholdn't be! Any more ideas? Please? LOL

~~Jayden Marie & Clinton James~~ 
Mommy to: Matthew (12), Michaela (11), Devin (9), Abigail (6), Gabriel (1), Georgia (1), and happily introducing Maximus Ryland, born on 12/30/09

MixedCooke
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:40 AM

No you are scsaring me becuase I will be in that situation in a couple of months!  I would think having them in separate rooms--twins in one and newborn in another so they do not wake each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)