Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am SOO scared. please help calm me down!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have been having gall bladder attacks for the past 12 years I just recently found out, I shrugged it off thinking it was just indigestion for this long....2 weeks ago, I ended up spending 5 days in the hospital, becasue over the years, the attacks have been doing a number on my liver apparently...my liver was very infected and enlarged.

they said they wanted to give my liver time to relax for a few weeks before taking out the gall bladder, they say thru ultrasound there is a MASS of stones in there.

I went to my doctor the other day for a 9 day check up on this, and I am still having a fever over 100 at night, and nauseaous, and  i am very sore, feels like a bruise under my ribcage, front and back. he says give it 48 more hours, and then call if it is still bad.

I have been a chicken, I should have called 2 days ago. my situation is worse, but I have been putting it off becasue they will want me in the hospital right away for antibiotics for a few days...then surgery.

I am scared, becasue it cannot be LAPROSCOPICALLY done. It has to be open surgery, a 1-2 hour procedure, and then I will be in the hospital from 4-7 days, and left with a giant 8-10 inch scar along the under side of my ribs. I am TERRIFIED. I do not like the idea of being put under for 2 hours. plus they said it has to be open, because there is a lot of damage to the liver, so they want to make sure eveything is ok, they want to be able to see whats going on, not with just a little camera, in case there is something else wrong.

anyone else have OPEN gall bladder surgery?

we are supposed to close on our house we bought in 4 weeks. they say my recovery will take 4-6 weeks. plus, i have a 15 month old and a 2 month old at home, luckily my hubby works out of the home, but STILL.....

SCARED to death!

come join a new group that is all about baby girls born in 2010! share photos, ask questions, meet moms who share this in common! http://www.cafemom.com/group/109294/ The Group name is Baby girls born in 2010.....see ya there!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bikingmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Sorry this is going on.  I too have a gall stone that is just now causing problems.  Hope they can help you soon.  Any posts will help me too!

Guinevere168
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM

It's okay; please take a breath; I have been there.

In March of 2008 I went in for laproscopic gall bladder removal, and when I woke up I found out that my g.b. had been so infected they had to go in and remove it the old fashioned way. So I have three scars now from that; the lapro, the long rib cage scar and the circular drain scar on my side.

Do you have anyone other than your hubby that can help you out, because you will need 24 hour care yourself? You will not be allowed to climb stairs, lift anything heavier than a plate of food, or walk too much (risk staples pulling). It will be very difficult to get in and out of bed for you (I had a sturdy/heavier four-legged chair next to my side of the bed and used it to pull myself to a sitting position).

If you can plan ahead, knowing that you will have the open surgery, you can prepare yourself for the recovery. Even if you have to put the kids in daycare (hubby drops off) for 6 weeks, and you sleep in the livingroom recliner (like I did), there is always a way. Plan, plan, plan, get help, and then take the required rest. Don't be a hero, no matter how guilty you feel for sitting on your ass for weeks on end.

I feel fantastic now and the scars are hardly visible at all now. I put vitamin D (broke open the gel caps) on my scars religiously for a year, and then was using Palmer's while I was pregnant for the stretch marks.

Good luck to you, relax and make sure to plan. Hugs!

valbeasley
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:10 PM

thank you so much- I am glad I have advice from someone who has been there. has your diet also had to change? I am on a 20-30g fat diet a day now, and i am glad i am healthier for that....how long were you in the hospital?

Quoting Guinevere168:

In March of 2008 I went in for laproscopic gall bladder removal, and when I woke up I found out that my g.b. had been so infected they had to go in and remove it the old fashioned way. So I have three scars now from that; the lapro, the long rib cage scar and the circular drain scar on my side.

Do you have anyone other than your hubby that can help you out, because you will need 24 hour care yourself? You will not be allowed to climb stairs, lift anything heavier than a plate of food, or walk too much (risk staples pulling). It will be very difficult to get in and out of bed for you (I had a sturdy/heavier four-legged chair next to my side of the bed and used it to pull myself to a sitting position).

If you can plan ahead, knowing that you will have the open surgery, you can prepare yourself for the recovery. Even if you have to put the kids in daycare (hubby drops off) for 6 weeks, and you sleep in the livingroom recliner (like I did), there is always a way. Plan, plan, plan, get help, and then take the required rest. Don't be a hero, no matter how guilty you feel for sitting on your ass for weeks on end.

I feel fantastic now and the scars are hardly visible at all now. I put vitamin D (broke open the gel caps) on my scars religiously for a year, and then was using Palmer's while I was pregnant for the stretch marks.

come join a new group that is all about baby girls born in 2010! share photos, ask questions, meet moms who share this in common! http://www.cafemom.com/group/109294/ The Group name is Baby girls born in 2010.....see ya there!

rsusan98
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I had my spleen and gallbladder out when I was 15 the old fashion way. I was in the hospital for a week.

Munchkin09
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM

You need to take care of this NOW!  You've seen what ignoring it and putting it off can do.  Just get it overwith. 

An FYI to you, I have had open surgery (not gallbladder) and its really not that bad.  They really know what they're doing and the recovery wasnt too bad either.  I know you're scared and I know the timing is great now (it never is!) but you have to take care of this.  Your LO needs you  to.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Just wanted to wish you good luck, I have no experience with this! I know my MIL had it and did fine but I don't know the details!

Guinevere168
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Quoting valbeasley:

thank you so much- I am glad I have advice from someone who has been there. has your diet also had to change? I am on a 20-30g fat diet a day now, and i am glad i am healthier for that....how long were you in the hospital?

Quoting Guinevere168:

I was in the hospital a week, but the last few days weren't so bad because I got myself up and around with my IV pole. If the nurses see you trying to help yourself in that small way, they won't make you stay more than a week (in most cases, I'm sure).

At first I did watch my fat intake and started exercising more to lose weight, but over time my bad food habits crept back in. I am currently on a low fat diet to bring down my frighteningly high cholesterol. So far I've lost 7 pounds in two weeks. I don't want to end up with liver stones, so I am smartening up now while I have the chance!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)