Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Month old REFUSES to go to sleep

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM
  • 9 Replies

My darling 9 month old daughter has me whipped! 

I cannot get her to fall asleep before 10:30. I have tried sleep training, where I lay her down in bed, kiss her good night and leave...she stands up and starts crying....I wait a few minutes, then come in and lay her back down and comfort her and then leave...she stands back up and starts crying....repeat repeat ect but ITS NOT WORKING!!

What can I do to get this child in bed besides feeding her till she falls asleep? I dont want her to get in the bad habit of falling asleep while she is being given the bottle. I would like for her to know that when Mommy puts her to bed, its time to sleep.

Im begging for suggestions! I hate hearing her cry but she cant have a later sleep schedule than my husband! Lol...help! 

shrugging

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Twinboysmom22
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM

What you are doing is what I would have suggested.  When you are comforting her are you talking to her?  When I go back in I pick them up, lay them back down, pat on the back and walk out.  I saw it on supernanny also not to look them straight in the eyes or talk when going back in.  It is easier said than done lol.

There is the CIO method too, but that is something you would have to want to do or be interested in doing. If so I will tell you how I did it with my boys.

Coasties_Girl
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM

I am sure you are going to get posts the say why not keep nursing her down and the letting her cry is wrong, ect ect. But they arent you or in your shoes.

How long have you been trying to sleep train her? Obviously she has a nursing association with sleep. The progressive waiting approach can take some time to work. Just keep redirecting her like you are doing. You need to change her bed time association with something other than breastfeeding. Do you have a night time routine set up? Maybe try a bath or a book or just sit quietly and cuddle with her. But dont give in to her and breast feed (unless you decide thats what you want till she weans). It will only encourage her to cry for what she wants at longer intervals.

lilmogo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I edited my post. Sorry girls, I should have stated that I am bottle feeding her (not that it has much difference in regards to this problem).

Coasties_Girl
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Well for bottle feeding I suggest giving her less and less each night. Start with reducing the amount by 1 ounce each night. Or move the feeding about an hour before her bed time and replace with another association like I stated previously. That what I did with my Ds. He is 9 months old and goes down at 8:30-9pm and sleeps through the night.

Quoting lilmogo:

I edited my post. Sorry girls, I should have stated that I am bottle feeding her (not that it has much difference in regards to this problem).

My Little Miracle

Born July 21st 2009

Honeybun09
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I would suggest this.

Trust me. I gave a full bottle to my daughter every night before bed. She's 14 months and still wants the bottle for nap and bed. Sure, she takes it with absolutely nothing in it (I'm being completely serious), but she won't get rid of it. It's something we're still working on. My daughter does sleep through the night but only with that stupid bottle.

Quoting Coasties_Girl:

Well for bottle feeding I suggest giving her less and less each night. Start with reducing the amount by 1 ounce each night. Or move the feeding about an hour before her bed time and replace with another association like I stated previously. That what I did with my Ds. He is 9 months old and goes down at 8:30-9pm and sleeps through the night.

Quoting lilmogo:

babygomez
by April on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:50 AM

I'd stop feeding her everytime she gets back up and you go back in..keep doing what you're doing though when you lay her back down..pat her a little and leave...you have to be consistent with it..once you break and give in, it'll make things tougher the each time around. Once she knows you won't give in by picking her up or giving her the bttle, she'll eventually know that when you lay her down, that means sleep :) Hope it works out for you guys♥ 

lilmogo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM

okay thanks ladies as long as I know Im not scarring her for life by not coddling her, I think I can keep this up. Cross your fingers!

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM

BUMP!

lilmogo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)