Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:48 AM
  • 10 Replies

my 7 month old never slept through the night.  He sleeps in his crib and wakes every 30-60 minutes, then sleeps with me the rest of the night.  We recently discovered that he sleeps great on his tummy!  However, my ped told me not to do this so I do not.  It makes me too nervous anyway.  He sleeps great with me and i BF him thoughout the night (3x's in 12 hours).  I would love for him to sleep in his crib and i tried CIO for a week and it did not produce good results.  I think that is a horrible thing to do anyway.  Any thoughts or people in the same situation that can share a story or a glimmer of hope?!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I gave up on the crib with my oldest after months of frustration, and never even used one with my younger kids. They coslept up until they stopped waking at night to nurse, and then we transitioned them straight into a bed. I love cosleeping, it is so snuggly and both baby and I get so much more sleep.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:25 AM

after my oldest came home from the nicu (he was a teeny tiny micro preemie) we put him in his bassinet because co-sleeping seemed scary at the time. my second one didn't co-sleep either and as a result, we didn't get any sleep either! but my 2 year old co-slept and breastfed for over a year and we all slept through every night! i totally believe in co-sleeping and i will be doing it again with our last. you just have to be safe about it of course. this time i think we're getting a co-sleeper that attaches to the bed so we can have a bit more room this time. (DF and i that is)

CafeMom Tickers

Mom of 3 boys Aiden (4), Gavin (3) and Logan (2) Pregnant with #4! Think Pink!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM

My son ended up sleeping on his tummy by the time he was 2 months old. He refused to sleep any other way, and he slept in bed with me. So I guess I'm a really horrible mom. He was sleeping through the night by three and a half months though, and he is fine today at 22 months.

I would say try a playpen in your room.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I sleep with my son he wouldnt even sleep without being held. but now at 22 months hes starting to not wake up when I leave.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I have her crib in our room and when she falls asleep I put her in the crib she maybe sleeps in there 3 hrs of the night but then shes back in bed to nurse and sleep. when your nursing at night I think its easier to have them sleep with you or right by you. I think when your put your baby in another room they can feel they are away from you. 

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM

My 9 month old daughter does this. usually between 11-1am i end up putting her in bed with me. I dont see a problem with it, even tho i never had to do it with my son. He was always the good sleeper lol She will sleep ALL night if shes in bed with me. I would just co-sleep for now and enjoy it. Later on you can work him into his own bed.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM

my son has been a tummy sleeper since day one.. he wont sleep any other way. i can't either so maybe he gets it from me? but he slept in our room until he was like 4 months old and could sit up by himself so i don't really worry about him sleeping on his tummy in his crib now.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM

My 4 1/2 month old started tummy sleeping at 3 1/2 months and ironically that's when he started sleeping through the night!  But he rolled himself over that way.  The doctor said it was fine since he is rolling himself over.  I always put him on his back, then he rolls over onto his tummy, sucks on his hand and goes to sleep.  He usually sleeps 10-12 hours straight.  My older son started sleeping through the night at 2 1/2 months but he was a back sleeper.  He started tummy sleeping around 8 months.  At 7 months the SIDS risk is pretty low.  It's completely up to your comfort level.  My baby sleeps in a pack n' play with no blankets or stuffed animals.  I put him in a sleep sack to stay warm. 

by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM

If he can flip over on his tummy by himself, then he can sleep that way.  You can't police the way he sleeps in the middle of the night if he can get himself in that position on his own.

I agree, CIO is not for me either.  I also tried it and it just never worked.  My DS went to sleep on his own at around 10 months.  I also co-slept with him from the time he was about 3 months old.  When he was a newborn, it made me nervous, so I just had him in a bassinet next to my bed.  He would go to sleep in his bassinet or crib for a few hours.  Then when he woke up, I just brought him in bed with me for the rest of the night.  I would basically sleep topless and he could have access whenever he wanted.  I rarely even woke up, just enough to know that he had latched on.

Have you tried getting a little CD player for his room and playing music on repeat all night?  Also, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to sleep through the night yet.  He's still young.  It's a myth that all babies sleep through the night by the time they are 6 months old.  Sleeping through the night is not a learned behavior, it is a developmental thing and every baby reaches this point at a different time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)