Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I giving her too much formula?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM
  • 18 Replies

My DD doesnt breastfeed because she never wanted to latch to my brest so had formula and breastmilk until she was 2 MO now she is 4 MO and the dr. tells me that she can have only 4 oz. every 4 hours, but honestly she was not getting full, plus she has reflux and she throws away little of the milk, in the last appt that was with the nurse practitioner she told me that I could give her until 6 oz  every 5 hours, but it's impossible because she starts crying and I know its bcause she is hungry so I'm giving her now 6 oz. every  3 1/2 hrs or sometimes 4 hours but I don't know if I am overfeeding her and if I'm  doing so..what else can I do so she can get satisfied, because it killed me when she finished her bottle and continued crying for a couple of minutes.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmybooskies
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I would feed your child more if you feel they need it. I could be wrong, but IMO you can't over feed a little baby. If they are hungry they are going to eat and when they are full they will stop. Try giving her an extra ounce maybe that small amount will be enough. 

stellarluna
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I say give baby what baby wants.  I breastfeed on demand and have no idea what my baby is getting and certainly would NOT stop my baby at a certain amount!  I let her go until she's satisfied.  My advice would be to give her another 2 oz or so and see how much she takes of that without spitting up a ridiculous amount, and you will soon know how much she needs added to her bottle.  It's not too much if baby needs it to be happy... around 9 weeks is a common time for a growth spurt so she may need more because of that.  I say listen to your baby, not a doctor.

If you are overfeeding your baby, she will spit up a lot.  If she doesn't spit up a lot, she is getting what her body needs.  Milk is the only thing that is giving her nutrients, so give her what her body is asking for, and I wouldn't worry about doing that at all.  The doctor sounds ridiculous.

mama_girl07
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

My youngest was drinking 6 oz every 3 1/2 to 4 hours by the time she was 3 months and never really drank more than that until I switched her off of formula. If she is hungry feed her thats what i say, she isnt going to over eat. You could even feed her 4 ozs and wait like 20-30 mins and if she is still hungry feed her more. i say 20-30mins because thats how long it takes the brain to register that you are full so if she is still hungry feed her 2 more ozs.

Luvmybooskies
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I agree with everything, especially the red. I nurse as well and let her eat as long as she needs to. So, IMO it shouldn't be any different with formula. If a baby is hungry they will eat and if they aren't they won't. Or I hate to say this, but if they do eat  too much they spit up the extra and it's not a big deal. I would rather deal with some spit up then to wonder if my baby is crying out of hunger

Quoting stellarluna:

I say give baby what baby wants.  I breastfeed on demand and have no idea what my baby is getting and certainly would NOT stop my baby at a certain amount!  I let her go until she's satisfied.  My advice would be to give her another 2 oz or so and see how much she takes of that without spitting up a ridiculous amount, and you will soon know how much she needs added to her bottle.  It's not too much if baby needs it to be happy... around 9 weeks is a common time for a growth spurt so she may need more because of that.  I say listen to your baby, not a doctor.

If you are overfeeding your baby, she will spit up a lot.  If she doesn't spit up a lot, she is getting what her body needs.  Milk is the only thing that is giving her nutrients, so give her what her body is asking for, and I wouldn't worry about doing that at all.  The doctor sounds ridiculous.

Pukity
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Thank you ladies now I feel better I thought I was doing something wrong by not following the dr's advice but I think you are all right if she's hungry she needs to eat..thanks so much I really appreciate your opinions.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I would feed baby until she seemed full = )

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Good luck = )

Quoting Pukity:

Thank you ladies now I feel better I thought I was doing something wrong by not following the dr's advice but I think you are all right if she's hungry she needs to eat..thanks so much I really appreciate your opinions.

*Happily married mommy of a preschooler, toddler and a new addition on the way!*

mrs_patterson
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I worry about this too, with my son. He just turned 6 weeks yesterday. He averages about 2 1/2 oz every 2-4 hours, but there have been times when he's eaten 4 oz, then 30 mins later he'll eat another 2. I don't want to restrict him at all, regardless of what anyone says. He eats when he's hungry & I feed him however much he needs to get full. He seems to be doing fine to me... so that's what I would suggest for you. Let  baby eat as often as they want until they seem full. I don't see the harm in it... 

butterflyblu
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM

No No No...don't listen to that nurse practitioner.  My son is 4 1/2 months and he eats 6 oz every 3 hours on average, sometimes it's 4 hours and sometimes only 2 1/2 hours.  The doctor even told me at his check up it's not necessarily what he eats at a single feeding but what he consumes in a 24 hour period and they also look at his weight gain.  He drinks about 30 oz a day or five 6 oz bottles.  He also sleeps 10-12 hours straight at night although he has off nights sometimes.  Feed your baby when she's hungry!  Plain and simple.  My son ate 4 oz at a feeding around 6 weeks.  By 3 months he was up to 5 oz at a feeding.  He is not a large baby either and actually has gained less than my older son did during the same period despite him being larger at birth.  Here is a good chart.  http://life.familyeducation.com/formula-feeding/baby/39374.html  

ashleywilkerson
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM

my doc told me to mix a little baby cereal in with her milk to help fill her up but ask you doc befor doing it he/she may not want you too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)