Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transitioning to sippy cup - need advice

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM
  • 4 Replies

My first son took to his sippy cup pretty much right away. He was drinking out of it before a year old. I had no problems getting him off the bottle. 
My youngest son will be a year old next week & wants nothing to do with a sippy cup. Part of the problem is that he prefers to drink his bottle laying down (he holds it himself) and can't really grasp the concept of sitting up while drinking.   He uses Avent bottles & they  have handles you can put on them & I've been putting those on his bottles for a few weeks now & he still won't sit up while drinking.  He gets so upset when I try to make him sit up and he will just cry & cry. 
I even tried only offering him his formula in a sippy cup (basically this or nothing option) and he still won't take it. I've tried a few kinds of sippy cups - ones with soft spouts like the bottle & ones with harder spouts but he doesn't like any of them. 

I wouldn't mind letting him use a bottle a little while longer, but I'm due with baby #3 in 9 weeks and really do not want 2 children using bottles so idealy I would like DS2 to be off the bottle by then. But he is just being super stubborn about this & refuses to use a cup and I don't know what else I can try.
help? suggestions? please! 

Mommy to 2 wonderful princes - Ryan (4 years) & Alex (11 months) & 
pregnant with a princess

pregnancy week by week

jun10modgl by you.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM

BUMP!

utopia5333
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM

He may just not be ready for it or maybe not for that style sippy cup it seemed like my Oldest Son took to change easier than  my youngest but I had to remind myself every child is different  Tristyn sipply wasn't ready for a hard nippy so we just put him on a nubby sippy

UnprfctSAHMto2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Quoting utopia5333:

He may just not be ready for it or maybe not for that style sippy cup it seemed like my Oldest Son took to change easier than  my youngest but I had to remind myself every child is different  Tristyn sipply wasn't ready for a hard nippy so we just put him on a nubby sippy

I tried the hard one & the nubby sippy. and he doesn't like either. 
I understand that every kid is different. I wouldn't really be pushing the issue if I wasn't due in 9 weeks with another baby. I really don't want 2 kids using the bottle. =( 

Mommy to 2 wonderful princes - Ryan (4 years) & Alex (11 months) & 
pregnant with a princess

pregnancy week by week

jun10modgl by you.

UnprfctSAHMto2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)