Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tongue Tied?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello, my name is Mandy, I am a 24 yr old SAHM to Josef-6, Aidan-2, and Autumn- 1wk 6days and loving wife to my Prince Charming, Hunter.

I was wondering who i talk to about my infant possibly being tongue tied, i've noticed she can't really stick her tongue out past her lower gum. Do i talk to her pediatrician about it?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lorililly
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

my son is also tongue tied.. yes talk to her pediatrician about it.. mine told that he could cut but he said that he would not unless he has problems with it..

Mandola21
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Thanks!

Quoting lorililly:

my son is also tongue tied.. yes talk to her pediatrician about it.. mine told that he could cut but he said that he would not unless he has problems with it..

lorililly
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

np.. he also told me that i could cut it if i wanted to but i do not want to do that... i just can't

Quoting Mandola21:

Thanks!

Quoting lorililly:

monkey702
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

My son was severly tongue tied, and my pediatrician sent me to a ENT and my son had it clipped at 2 months.

monkey702
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

He was sedated for the procedure and didn't show any signs of pain.

butterflyblu
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Yes talk to your pediatrician.  I was having major issues BF my youngest and I got a referral to an ENT to check him out.  Turns out he was not tongue tied but instead has what's called peanut butter tongue.  Basically he likes the sensation of his tongue against the roof of his mouth so he does not cup the nipple correctly resulting in incorrect suckling.  He made a clicking sound when eating similar to what tongue tied babies typically do, hence why I got him evaluated.   If it's interfering with him eating properly (usually on applies if you are BF, not bottle feeding), then it's usually advised to have it clipped. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)