Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you done anything different to "Go Green"?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

Have you done anything different to "Go Green"?

Our main thing was cloth diapering.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Georgie0502
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

No, but I have been toying with the idea of cloth diapering. kendall doesn't have a whole lot of time left in diapers, but Ben is only 3 months old. It would save so much money.

LilahandElliot
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

umm, we do our washing in cold - it saves on the water heater having to heat the water. 

We turn off everything thing at night... we used to leave it on when DH was Air Force and we didn't pay electric.

We use natural light only during the day... we have a lot of windows in our house... and a huge window in the living room.

hmmm, other than that... we are thinking of buying a wind turbine for our house within the next few years... it gets really windy here a lot... and the wind turbines can produce about 25% of the energy we use.

That's about it for now... In the next few years we want to upgrade all of our appliances to more energy efficiant ones.... plus we want stainless steel... not white like we have.

MommyJ0697
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM

We don't use drop in bottles--that actually saves money and we aren't throwing away plastic liners.

We save the formula cans and use them to put small toys, hair pieces, etc. in them and the rest we recycle.

Natural lighting during the day because it's starting to get sunny here!

I quit buying disposable plates and bought eco-friendly dishwashing soaps/cleaners.

We are using cloth diapers for now, but I think we're going to go back to sposies soon.

tscritch
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Cloth diapering and I started making my own cleaning spray. It works as good as the chemical stuff I used to buy.

jridgill
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM

We also wash with cold water only.

BEast915
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM

We bought one of those non mechanical push mowers, You have to mow the lawn more often but its good excercise and no noise so I can hear my girls when we're outside.

I EBF so we dont waste money (my main reason) or water on formula.

I wash my laundry in cold water and do my dishes every other day. I don't use paper plates either.

I only live 2 blocks to my work and I work at a daycare so when it's nice out we walk to work (I can take my girls).

We recently had our plumbing updated and saved about $1000 over the last 4 months on the utility bill.

And finally we have aluminum water bottles that we refill every day for each one of us.

Honeybun09
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

We recycle now. We never used to.

Mom71307
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:33 PM

We cloth diaper and use all natural cleaners and soaps.  We also recycle EVERYTHING.  I BF so there are no bottles or formula cans, I make our baby food, we wash in cold when we can, no lights during the day and everything is off at night.  I set the thermostat very low and use windows or blankets when we can. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)