Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM
  • 12 Replies

My baby girl is 4wks which means my six week exam is approaching really soon. I DO NOT want to be pregnant again any time soon and im curious as to what birth control besides condoms works well with some of you ladies. I was interested in taking the depo shot but I have heard so many things about it. I have taken the pills before but rememering them is hard work. I take high blood pressure meds and breastfeed so if anybody know if the shot will interfere with birth control let me know,

by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eirejade
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:37 AM
Breastfeeding limits you to progesterone-only bc. The depo shot, the mini-pill, the patch, nuvaring, and implanon. Depo will decrease your bone density over time, but is only done every 12 weeks. The mini-pill is daily and you HAVE to take it within 1-2 hours of the same time each day (I take mine before bed, with an alarm on my phone going off for it). The patch is once a week, but you have to deal with the adhesive (bad if you're sensitive like me). Nuvaring is once a week, every 4th week off (for your period), and is easy enough, but can be a little weird during sex (you can remove it for sex, but then you have to remember to put it back in). Implanon lasts for 3 or 5 years, and is implanted under the skin. Also, the IUD-copper (which is hormone-free) and Mirena wich is platic with progesterone. Both last about 5 years (though I was told the copper could go 10), but there is the risk of falling out, puncturing the uterus and other organs (I know someone whose copper IUD punctured her kidney).
Beatlemama
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Since my son was born, I can no longer take hormonal birth control.  (they cause me to have migraines)  I use a diaphragm and spremicide. 

liltiger86
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I have had many people tell me that the miranda birth control option is great if u dont want any more children right now and you have the option of changin your mind later

LSchwarting
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Quoting liltiger86:

I have had many people tell me that the miranda birth control option is great if u dont want any more children right now and you have the option of changin your mind later

You can't use Mirena while breastfeeding since it has progestrone but the copper IUD ParaGuard is the same thing but no horomes at all.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
asmcbride
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Quoting LSchwarting:

Quoting liltiger86:

You can't use Mirena while breastfeeding since it has progestrone but the copper IUD ParaGuard is the same thing but no horomes at all.

Actually, my doctor recommended and gave me Mirena while I was breastfeeding. I had it removed because I was one of the rare people that had a bad reaction to it...but that is a whole other story lol.

OP- We are currently doing natural family planning and I love it. No pills to remember. No excess hormones being placed in your body.

mrs.reece
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM

i have mirena and brest fed for a year! i love my mirena... in the last 2 years i have had maybe 2 periods which were so light you wouldn't believe it! My doctor knew that i was breast feeding and told me that it was totally ok!

OliviasMomme
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I tried getting back on the pill after my first but bleed all the time.  I couldn't keep track of what was period and what wasn't.  I decided to get off and was interested in Mirena but I got pregnant again before I could have in put it.  After my second I ended up getting a tubal anyway.  If you have trouble remembering the pill I would go with Mirena.  I know lots of people that use it and they love it.  My bestfriend got the depo after her dd, and she gained a ton of weight.

Honeybun09
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:08 AM

My husband and I use natural family planning combined with abstinence during my ovulation times.

Rock-a-bye, babies group,
right on CafeMom:
When the posts start,
The group willl rock;
When the advice flows,
No member will fail;
Down will go baby,
sleeping night and all.
Credit: Cafe Elizabeth

Come join the Babies group today!
Mother Goose Day Celebration May 3!
See you there! ~Honeybun09~Babies Mod~

ShyMama0817
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM

My so and I used natural family planning along with breastfeeding. And no intercourse during my most fertile period.

1wildchild
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I have the Mirena IUD. There are pros and cons, as with any BC, to getting an IUD. The pros are that it's basically worry free birth control and the Mirena lasts up to 5 years, the Paragard lasts up to 10 years. You have the check the strings every now and then to make sure it hasn't fallen out but thats not hard to do. The cons, I get terrible migraines now and I never did before having my daughter and before getting the IUD. I have a very small appetite now, I ate more prior to getting the IUD. I have almost no sex drive and that really sucks. I'm always exhausted no matter how much sleep I get. If I could afford it I'd get my IUD out but we can't afford more kids right now nor the $200 exam fee to get it out. Good luck in deciding!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)