• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some good advice on Sleeping habits for my 6 month old

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a little girl who will be 6 months next  Sat and we have been swaddling her for all of her naps and at night! I really, really, really would like to wean her from being swaddled and just lay her in her crib! But we can't! I have tried the one arm out thing and she ends up taking her paci out and crying. She stil has the startle reflex, I think! She will not fall asleep on her own! I am in limbo as far what to do with her! I really don't want to use the CIO method with her! I think it's cruel but there are days and nights where I just want to walk away from her. She fights sleep so badly! Just didn't know if anyone else has had to deal with this! Should I just quit cold turkey or what?? Thanks for reading!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom71307
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM

My kids have never liked to be swaddled so I have no advice really for that.  My kids also don't use pacifiers.  Friends of mine are slowly weaning their 5 month old from swaddling using the one arm out thing, etc and it is working for her but she has no pacifier to pull out either.  I also disagree with CIO and do not and will not use it with my kids.  I can pat my son who is now 7 months old and he will settle to sleep a lot of the time.  I would keep trying to wean her slowly from the swaddle though.

aidanandjackson
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I have no idea as I am also having problems getting my 6mo to sleep, but here's a bump for ya!

Hsalmons
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM

BUMP!

Hsalmons
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Opps....I am new to all of this lingo.....LOL What does a bump mean?

MeNevermore
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I say just swaddle her until she doesn't like it anymore. My boys got to where they wanted to stretch out.

It sucks she still has the startle reflex...that means any little sound could wake her up...

I don't believe in the CIO method either.

This is what I do:

Put baby in crib (swaddled if you like), paci, mobile, walk away. If the mobile goes off or she takes out the paci, go back and turn mobile back on and re-paci. Just keep doing this over and over until she falls asleep. It shouldn't take long.

If you start getting her to learn to fall asleep on her own, eventually she will not need the swaddling anymore, I think.

mommyof2grls06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM

That is a good way to do it. Me personally, we co sleep and nurse to sleep. My middle daughter took over my youngest crib about 3 months ago. My youngest is 9 months and won't sleep anywhere but my bed. I'm hoping to  have her in her crib (that my middle daughter will be giving up lol) by the time she's 2.

Quoting MeNevermore:

I say just swaddle her until she doesn't like it anymore. My boys got to where they wanted to stretch out.

It sucks she still has the startle reflex...that means any little sound could wake her up...

I don't believe in the CIO method either.

This is what I do:

Put baby in crib (swaddled if you like), paci, mobile, walk away. If the mobile goes off or she takes out the paci, go back and turn mobile back on and re-paci. Just keep doing this over and over until she falls asleep. It shouldn't take long.

If you start getting her to learn to fall asleep on her own, eventually she will not need the swaddling anymore, I think.

A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, Former fully vaxing, but now delayed and very selectively vaxing, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

It's a child not a choice.

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference.

butterflyblu
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM

My friend's daughter had to be swaddled until she was 9 months old!  Some babies just like that close feeling and I say do whatever gets you and her the most sleep.  Eventually she will outgrow it. 

Honeybun09
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I would keep doing what baby wants at 6 months old. My daughter didn't establish a good bedtime routine until she was 7 months. We weaned slowly so it changed at 10 months and is now completely set at 14 months.

Rock-a-bye, babies group,
right on CafeMom:
When the posts start,
The group willl rock;
When the advice flows,
No member will fail;
Down will go baby,
sleeping night and all.
Credit: Cafe Elizabeth

Come join the Babies group today!
Mother Goose Day Celebration May 3!
See you there! ~Honeybun09~Babies Mod~

alexa_112
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM
I wouldn't know my baby six months as well has always put herself to sleep since she was born all of a sudden she needs to be swaddled to sleep and she wakes up during the night atleast twice she would always sleep the whole night.... Needless to say I don't get much sleep the only way shell sleep is of she's in my bed and I've been giving in because I'm so tired but as soon as school is over and I don't need tooucj sleep I'll start setting her so she could sleep on her own
muskegonmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:54 PM
i am going to have to give you a bump on this one mama, all my kids have always been good sleepers for the most part... and liam whos 4 months old has been sleeping though the night since he came home from the hospital... He sleeps 12 hrs a night 8 pm to 8 am... its perfect... Im sorry i cant help you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)