Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

she wont sleep!

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

ugh!!! Alyssa has always been a champ sleeper but for the past 3 nights has been waking up at all hours of the night!! she will sleep in bed weith me, but that became a very bad habit with my son and i dont want to repeat it. i cant sleep if she's in my bed, i cant sleep if she's up...what to do??? Cio is tough cause she shares a room with my son. he's a heavy sleeper but i still worry she'll wake him...

not sure if it's cause the weather changed a LOT recently and it's really hot and humid, or if she's still a little sick or just wants me to hold her all night. i just can't do that though! i'm going crazy here!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
rockinmomto2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM

It's probably teething, so I'd give her some baby tylenol to help her sleep. 6 months, imo, is too early to cio. My baby is 5 months, and when she doesn't sleep well, it's because something's wrong.

cevine
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I agree with rockinmomto2, my daughter(14 months) is a good sleeper like your daughter and she very rarely wakes during the night anymore and when she does it is because something is wrong. Mostly it is teeth, she is getting a molar at the moment. I agree to trying some baby medicine to see if that helps, I also offer a cold teething toy or wet washer. If that doesnt work and it isnt teeth, maybe try taking her for a checkup, you mentioned that she might still be sick and things like ear infections and stuffy noses affect kids sleep. We have to raise my daughters cot when she has a really blocked nose to help her sleep otherwise he sleep goes all over the place. I also dont agree with using the real hardcore CIO methods, because in my limited experience ( I only have my daughter and another one due in september), kids have sleeping troubles for a reason like teeth, growth spurts, enviromental changes.

You also mentioned the weather changing, I will ask the dumb things (that I figured you have already done), put her to bed in lighter clothing and less bedding or put a fan in the room or open a window to get air flow unless you have air conditioning which is even better. My daughter prefers her room on the cool side (like most people really). On the other hand if she is waking up about 4am then this is the prime time for kids to get cold and that to wake them up as it is the coldest time out night regardless of the daytime weather.

Also I understand you not being able to sleep with her in the bed or if she is awake, I am the same. My daugher had been in her own room since the first night we brought her home and she daddy and I all prefer it that way as we are all noisy sleepers. I also agree that you dont want to repeat the bad habit of having her in bed with you, it is always much harder to change something later. I would keep sticking to the same bedtime routine that you have been doing and go for the consistency.

If it is teeth, illness, growth spurt or developemental spurt it will subside soon. If it is something else and it continues you could maybe look at sleep training methods. I used sleep training because I didnt know how to put my daughter to sleep during the day for the first 6 weeks if she didnt fall asleep breast feeding or driving. I used Natalie at www.sleepandsettle.com.au and it was brillant we still use her ideas today. I liked it because it was a gentle method and we plan to use it with our next child.

Finally looking at her age, could she be ready for solids (if you havent started them already), is she hungry at night????

Anyway those are just a couple of my thoughts because I noticed that you hadnt had alot of replies.Hope that helps and gives you some support and some things to try.

Honeybun09
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

This is the same with my daughter. I would just comfort her as much as you can.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

It's probably teething, so I'd give her some baby tylenol to help her sleep. 6 months, imo, is too early to cio. My baby is 5 months, and when she doesn't sleep well, it's because something's wrong.

Rock-a-bye, babies group,
right on CafeMom:
When the posts start,
The group willl rock;
When the advice flows,
No member will fail;
Down will go baby,
sleeping night and all.
Credit: Cafe Elizabeth

Come join the Babies group today!
Mother Goose Day Celebration May 3!
See you there! ~Honeybun09~Babies Mod~

sleveric
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Im going through the same thing with my 9 month old.  She will fall asleep okay in my arms.  But wakes up the moment I try putting her in the crib.  She immediatly stands up and screams.  My bed is not big enough to share with her.  Last night I put a soft blanket on the floor and cuddled her till she slept and then went to bed myself.  Hubby slept on the couch so as to keep an eye on her.  I hope that it is just teething and won't last long. 

hwalker07
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Selveric my son is the same way right now and I am about to go crazy (he is almost 8 months old)he has yet to sleep through the night or at least a good chunk. I wish I knew what I could do to get him to sleep longer....

stykir
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM

thanks for the replies. i know i'm not the only one this happens to, but it's been very tough going from gettng a decent amount of sleep at night to waking all night ... like having a newborn all over again lol

we'll see if she wakes again tonight. she's just happy all day long though. the little cold she had is pretty much gone so hopefully that will help her out! as for me, i'm headed to bed early tonight, just in case!! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)