Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carseats ???

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM
  • 28 Replies
Ok, so I'm new and I'm a first time mommy. I have a 4 month old baby girl and I'm not sure how long to keep her in the infant car seat? What is the height and weight limit? Do I HAVE to switch to a convertable seat or just leave her in the infant seat? I also want to exclusively rear face, as I have read it is the safest, but when do I stope rear facing, what height, weight, and age? I'm so lost and confused?!? Any help would be greatly apprecited. Thank you :)
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
McKs0820
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Join the carseat safety group they can give you the most accurate information and can give you great seats to buy according to your child and your price range

lundaylove
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM

well what seat is she in now? the brand name and everything. that will tell you how long she can last in that one. BUT you can switch her to a rear facing convertible at any time. As for ERFing -which i very highly reccomend- you rear face to the limit of the seat you buy. My sons Radian80SL will rear face to 45lbs and until there is less than 1" of hard shell above his head so its like 50 some inches i believe. My son is 17 months and still has plenty of room to grow, as well as my 3yo daughter who is still rear facing in her Radian65. Extended rear facing has been proven to be safest, so rear face as long as you can, which is what the AAP and many car seat manufacturers reccomend.

eventually you will have to switch her to a convertible when she outgrows the infant carrier but there is no set time to switch over before she hits the limits.

gabesmomma05
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Quoting lundaylove:

well what seat is she in now? the brand name and everything. that will tell you how long she can last in that one. BUT you can switch her to a rear facing convertible at any time. As for ERFing -which i very highly reccomend- you rear face to the limit of the seat you buy. My sons Radian80SL will rear face to 45lbs and until there is less than 1" of hard shell above his head so its like 50 some inches i believe. My son is 17 months and still has plenty of room to grow, as well as my 3yo daughter who is still rear facing in her Radian65. Extended rear facing has been proven to be safest, so rear face as long as you can, which is what the AAP and many car seat manufacturers reccomend.

eventually you will have to switch her to a convertible when she outgrows the infant carrier but there is no set time to switch over before she hits the limits.

Ditto to this and I highly recommed the MyRide 65. It rear faces until about 45 pound and front faces until 70 pounds so by the time your child outgrows it they can sit in a booster with no back to it. I just invested in one and my DD loves it!

Wife to a guardian angel!!  RIP Matthew 1/28/83-3/2/10

Mother to my wonderful kids, Gabriel (10/24/05) and Ella (5/28/09)

Anasmommy1110
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM
Thank you for your reply. She is in a graco right now. Not sure what moddle? It was a used car seat/stroller combo, all we could afford at the time. I just saw the prices of the convertable carseats and wondered when I would need to get one so I can start saving up. Lol.
lfrrll5
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I don't know my kids are all tiny my oldest is just now over 50lbs and she is 9 and a little over 4 foot three. My 7 year old is 4 foot one and only 52 lbs. They eat well however if I were to go by weight they would be in a ball facing rear facing. So I think it depends on the child and the seat.

Journey311
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM

We didn't switch my son to a convertible seat until he was 10 months old.  He hadn't reached the weight or height maximums on his carrier, but he just seemed so big for it as well as uncomfortable. 

We have the Britax boulevard and it only rearfaces until 35 pounds, and harnesses until 65 pounds.  We don't ERF, but we'll leave him in the harness as long as possible.  I think there are some new seats that came out that ERF to like 50 pounds or more.

erinsmom1964
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Quoting gabesmomma05:

Quoting lundaylove:

Ditto to this and I highly recommed the MyRide 65. It rear faces until about 45 pound and front faces until 70 pounds so by the time your child outgrows it they can sit in a booster with no back to it. I just invested in one and my DD loves it!

I also have the My Ride 65 by graco and love it BUT it RF to 40 PDS not 45 and FF to 65pds not 70.  They are a great seat for a tight budget as they are only $129 at Wal-Mart.  They are easy to adjust, easy to install, made in the USA, tall and wide shells, 2 built in cup holders.  We have been using ours for 8 months and Erin LOVES it.  Here she is at 1yr old offically starting her ERF ( extended rear facing) We switched from infant carrier when Erin was 5 months old. 

lorililly
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:41 PM

i love thegraco 65 car seat.. it goes from Newborn and Up and yes you should keep facing backwards as long as the car seat you got tells you can this car seat sits backwards up to 40 lbs ..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C3Q78C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002C3I8WA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VRG9BCRAEFM3BGJ79HX

I have this car seat but for a boy and i love and he does too.. he used to cry when he was in the infant seat but now that i have this one he does not cry at all...

bbmkfo03
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I switched my dd into a convertible when she was about 4 months old. DH and I are looking for one for his car now (DD will be 1 on Friday *yikes!*) and we're either going to choose a britax or radian. I've also heard good things about myride. Come join the car seat safety group!

Heather881029
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:26 AM

The car seat safety group here on Cafemom is great.  Also you should have an instruction manual with your infant car seat that will give you height and weight limitations, along with any other car seats you buy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)