Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The motherload

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

This will contain several questions..

One, My 7 month old has wet through his size 5 disposable diaper for 2 nights now... I REALLY don't want to go to 6's.  During the day, he is in cloth and does fine.  I have put him in cloth a few nights trying to find a combination that will work and the only one that hasn't leaked was a thick prefold, a hemp liner, another thick prefold and a FLIP cover.  It is SO bulky though and he already has quite the tush... I can't imagine that being comfortable... Any suggestions?

Two, Same baby has been fighting sleep for the last 2 days.  Sometimes, he will take a decent am nap but fight his pm one and sometimes, it is  the opposite.  He will go up to 3 hours before needing to go back down but sometimes only 2.  I am toying with the idea of going to one nap but he seems so young and I am not sure how to do that.  My daughter was about 10 months before she went to one nap.  He does NOT sleep through the night and sometimes, he goes back down easily and sometimes not so easily.  He ends up in my bed for a portion of the night every night recently and I would like to break that too but I am exhausted!   Any suggestions OTHER THAN CIO are welcome! 

Thank you!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Chick
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM

1. When they start leaking out of nowhere, it usually is time to go up a size. Or you can buy special night time only diapers in same size and see if that works. Make sure the penis is pointed down.

2. Try a strict routine of bath with some sort of calming solution like lavender. Even if it doesn't help him sleep, he will smell wonderful. :) Keeping the house quit and dimly lit during bath, calmly dress him (i skip the lotion before bed bc it pissed my kids off too bad, at that point I wanted them as calm as possible so I did lotion in the mornings.) Dress him very comfortably quickly but calmly- no playing, and I have found they sleep better when fully dressed (no bare leggs or feet but arms ok) and then turn off all lights and in a quite room rock him to sleep. It works wonders for my kids when they are being pains. If he still doesn't calm down, try some Hylands teething tablets. At this age it could very well be teething keeping him from sleeping good. If it's not teething, the tablets are all natural and calming so they may still help. You can try the infant massage but it never worked for me, I think that's bc I didn't really know how to do it but a lot of moms swear it helped their kids go and stay asleep.

Kids sleep through the night when they are ready, unless you make them CIO, which then they just realize your not going to come and they give up so it's really not that they were ready. So unless your willing to do that, there isn't a a whole lot you can do to encourage it other than a relaxing bed time routine, dark room and comfortable temp. Also, when he wakes up, don't make eye contact, don't talk to him, just rock or whatever it is you do, back to sleep. Don't let him wiggle, play, nothing...when he tries you just firmly but nicely hold him tightly to you and keep rocking or whatnot. After a few minutes he should give up and let you get him back to sleep. But this is why I co-sleep (but I love it) - I just hold them and they go right back to sleep and I don't waste time rocking and losing even more sleep.

alandou
by April on May. 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Well, lets see...is he peeing more than usual, b/c that really seems like alot. I know that if babies start to pee alot more/less than usual, then there could be a problem, I cant remember what it off the top of my head though. Maybe that's just him though, and he has always been like that. As far as bedtime, I  use pampers dry. They last 12 hrs or more and dd has not ever leaked through. They are less expensive than the overnight pants as well. When she turned 7 mo. she all of a sudden started having sleep issues as well. I couldnt figure it out b/c she had slept just fine for 3 months previously. I had had heard that when a baby is about to excel developmentally then they might fall back on something they used to have no problem with. One step forward, two steps back. Well my dd ended up learning to crawl and pull herself up to stand in less than 2 weeks. Now she is over her little sleep problem. Its phases they go through. It can be frustrating but hang in there. It wont last forever.

hmjones2005
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Dang girl you pretty much said everything I was going to say. LOL The diapers, the fact that there might be a problem, and how your baby had a spurt. My DD went from crawling to standing up in about 2 weeks as well. She was so busy. Around 8 months or so she stopped having 2 naps a day and went to one longer one (about 3 hours). Now that she is walking, she's using more energy and is back to two naps a day (about 1.5-2 hrs each). I also use the Pampers Baby Dry and really don't have to change her at all. If your DS is leaking, that is a tell tale sign that you need to go up a size. If he is peeing more than usual though, you might want to ask your pedi just to be sure. As far as the waking up, he might be teething. Both my kids had sleep issues while they were teething. DD is actually teething right now again, so she's starting to get fussy in the night. Does your LO use a pacifier? If so, buy a few extra and use my trick. If you hold it under the faucet, you can fill the nipple up with water. Then put them in the freezer. It doesn't take that long to freeze, but we always keep a few in there. When baby gets fussy pull one out and it's great on the gums. You don't have to worry when it melts, cause it's only water. :) Then you can just refill it and stick it back in the freezer.

Quoting alandou:

Well, lets see...is he peeing more than usual, b/c that really seems like alot. I know that if babies start to pee alot more/less than usual, then there could be a problem, I cant remember what it off the top of my head though. Maybe that's just him though, and he has always been like that. As far as bedtime, I  use pampers dry. They last 12 hrs or more and dd has not ever leaked through. They are less expensive than the overnight pants as well. When she turned 7 mo. she all of a sudden started having sleep issues as well. I couldnt figure it out b/c she had slept just fine for 3 months previously. I had had heard that when a baby is about to excel developmentally then they might fall back on something they used to have no problem with. One step forward, two steps back. Well my dd ended up learning to crawl and pull herself up to stand in less than 2 weeks. Now she is over her little sleep problem. Its phases they go through. It can be frustrating but hang in there. It wont last forever.

Mom71307
by on May. 3, 2010 at 7:24 AM

No, he is not peeing more than normal... he has always been a heavy pee-er!  We have always gone up a size when he started wetting through but... size 6... already!?!?  To my knowledge, he is not approaching any milestones, but they can surprise you!  He is teething... and I do give him teething stuff... teething tablets or hyland's gel.  He does NOT take a pacifier... how I wish he would sometimes!  He is EBF and nurses when he wakes at night... I co-sleep sometimes and a lot of the time, he will go back in his own bed after nursing and if I pat his back for a bit.  I agree that babie sleep through when they are ready and I will NOT CIO!  My daughter was 18 month before she slept through... she was up nursing until then!  Thanks...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)