Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergic reaction

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM
  • 23 Replies

Well we found out that Kenlee is allergic to penicillin. She has an ear infection and was prescribed Amoxicillin & she broke out in hives all over her body so we took her in to the doc and he put her on Septra Suspension. We also have to give her benadryl for her hives :[

I feel so bad. Do your kids have any allergies?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
montessori_mama
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I think my babe is allergic to soy, just because of side effects in her when I eat it and nurse her.  Also, I ate pineapple yesterday and it made the poor kid miserable and broke my heart!  I'm not sure if those are actual allergies or sensitivities she'll outgrow ... I guess we'll see.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM

So far,our 3 yr old hasn't shown an allergy to anything,but I was about about 2 when I had Pneumonia and had an allergic reaction to Penicillin.My mom said it was horrible!Poor little Kenlee,I hope she feels better soon :o(

marywilliams
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Caroline is lucky and so far does not have any allergies.  I, on the other hand have quite a few.  I have always been allergic to pennicillin and sulfa medications.  Makes it hard to find something that will work!  I was prone to ear infections as a child and that was a nightmare!  I'm also severely allergic to fire ants, bees, wasps, and all kinds of seasonal allergies.

I'm hoping that the allergies I have are not going to be passed on to either of my children.  So far, we've been lucky!

Ambereno144
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM

yeah I am not allergic to anything my SO on the otherhand just informed me that he is allergic to penicillin but didn't think about mentioning that to me before I gave it to Kenlee.

Quoting marywilliams:

Caroline is lucky and so far does not have any allergies.  I, on the other hand have quite a few.  I have always been allergic to pennicillin and sulfa medications.  Makes it hard to find something that will work!  I was prone to ear infections as a child and that was a nightmare!  I'm also severely allergic to fire ants, bees, wasps, and all kinds of seasonal allergies.

I'm hoping that the allergies I have are not going to be passed on to either of my children.  So far, we've been lucky!

gilbertgrl627
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:41 PM

When my DS was 4 months old, we found out he was allergic to milk, eggs, and wheat (kind of). All of it was from whatever I passed on to him while BF. He developed eczema bc of it. It's slowly getting better, and I can eat wheat with no problems (to him). Dairy in moderation. Egg may still be a problem. We'll go back when he's a year (he's 8 months). I think he's also allergic to Cephalexin, but that's something that runs in my family.

knagsmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:53 PM

my son is allergic to penicillin as well. so they give him zethromion? it works. for the hives u can do an oatmeal bath its gonna feel icky to her but it helps. make sure to keep a card with the allerigy information in her bag. with the reactions as well. if u need any more information let me know. also is she ur only child so far? if so make sure that if u have another child that they dont get penicillin meds or any cillin meds. because of ur daughter they most likely wont give it to the next child.

Misery_Stitches
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:54 PM

My daughter used to be allergic to dairy and eggs, she also has a nut allergy but is not anaphalactic.

Its common for children that grow out of food allergies such as my daughter did to gain other types of allergies, so my daughter is now also allergic to dust mites and Aspergillus which is a type of mold.

We have found she is also allergic to some skin products, as a baby she was allergic to 99% of baby products and now at 8 yrs old sometimes still reacts to some soaps, makeup etc every now and then. She is allso allergic to amoxacillin too, she usually has cefclor (sp?) instead as her normal antibiotic.

She also has some unknown allergy as every now and then she breaks out into hives and we dont know what causes it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
bbmkfo03
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I have the same reaction to penicillin! Hives everywhere..I also am now senstive to most antibiotics. My mom has the same problem so I'm guessing my dd will too. Hope she feels better soon!

lakens_mommy
by Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I'm also allergic to penicillin. It makes my throat close up to where I can't breathe =/

The only kid that's allergic to anything is Brynn and she's allergic to sweet potatoes....of all things =P

tangleballlover
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM

My DS does.

He thankfully isn't allergic to any meds yet. But I think the scariest reaction so far was to sesame in hummus. He had had hummus before and then a couple months ago, he was eating some for snack and he started to turn red and cough and then when I asked him if he was okay (I thought he was choking on a bit of chip caught in his throat)...he couldn't do any more than whisper and he was forcing that. It was SO scary. It didn't go any further and he was fine a meer 10 minutes later, but eek!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)