Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Beer while breastfeeding??

Posted by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM
  • 49 Replies

How soon can you breastfeed your baby after drinking?? I've heard different things from different people...just curious! I've heard to pump before, but then I heard that pumping doesnt do any good...then I heard it doesn't affect baby at all, unless your drunk. So if I have 3 beers in an hour with food, how soon is it "safe" to breastfeed?? hmm...

by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephie280
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:35 AM

for 3 beers figure 3 hours just to be safe. my doctor told me for every beer add one hour. Plus i will warn you beer can up milk supply like crazy.

Pumping doesn't do any good because if you feel drunk your baby can be drunk. but for some people they don't feel drunk until after several beers. so i would go by the 1 beer = 1 hour. thats just me

Mrs6six
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I say the safest thing to do would be not drink at all while breastfeeding.

MyAbbyLove24
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I agree thats the safest thing to do!! Kinda like if you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex! It is safest!! But if you do have a drink or two....

Quoting Mrs6six:

I say the safest thing to do would be not drink at all while breastfeeding.

ttaylor1998
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM

3 beers in 1/2 with food?  What do you mean?

It all depends on the frequency in which you usually breastfeed, the age of the baby, etc.  I actually gave my son a yeast rash when he was about a year old.  I drank a few beers one night and figured I would be fine to nurse in the morning as usual.  Wrong.  After that, I just drank one occasionally and never had a problem..

mandaleigha
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I've always heard safe to drive, safe to breastfeed. I'll have a beer or drink every once in awhile, but generally only one and I drink it right after I nurse Kayleigh.

MyAbbyLove24
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I edited it....

Quoting ttaylor1998:

3 beers in 1/2 with food?  What do you mean?

It all depends on the frequency in which you usually breastfeed, the age of the baby, etc.  I actually gave my son a yeast rash when he was about a year old.  I drank a few beers one night and figured I would be fine to nurse in the morning as usual.  Wrong.  After that, I just drank one occasionally and never had a problem..

MyAbbyLove24
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Thats what I've read also! But wasn't sure the reliability of the source...thanks mama.

Quoting mandaleigha:

I've always heard safe to drive, safe to breastfeed. I'll have a beer or drink every once in awhile, but generally only one and I drink it right after I nurse Kayleigh.

motherslove82
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I' ve always heard you're not supposed to drink at all while your breastfeeding. Better safe than sorry.

ashleyrenee24
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Quoting motherslove82:

I' ve always heard you're not supposed to drink at all while your breastfeeding. Better safe than sorry.

Drinking while breastfeeding is fine.

gemini52283
by on May. 11, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I don't know the answer so here is a BUMP for you. I never felt comfortable drinking while breastfeeding. My son just turned 2 and is still breastfeeding. I have yet to even take a sip of alcohol since I was pregnant with him. I have been too scared to even try it. I hope you find the answer that you are looking for. I know us moms can use a drink every now and then to unwind from daily stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN