Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

newborn restless sleep?

Posted by on May. 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM
  • 22 Replies

My little man is 3 weeks old and a few times he has had restless sleep. He will move around and grunt---sometimes open eyes and go back to sleep. He fought sleep for the longest time tonight and right now he is sleeping so light. Poor little man.

by on May. 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tickled_pink09
by on May. 12, 2010 at 4:38 AM

it is more than just grunting...but whimpering. He has been fed...changed...burped

I feel bad for him :(

laureng22
by on May. 12, 2010 at 4:41 AM
Have you tried to swaddle him? Sometimes that helps.
tickled_pink09
by on May. 12, 2010 at 4:48 AM

Quoting laureng22:

Have you tried to swaddle him? Sometimes that helps.

He had fought sleep until he fell asleep in my arms--any sudden movement would have woken the poor little guy. It took him so long to fall asleep and so I put him in the carseat(which he likes most of the time). Picking him up would have woken him..

and my swaddling is not always very good(needing more practice). I have the one's with velcro but he gets his arms out. He is fine sleeping like that if he is not so restless already.

However in most situations swaddling works wonders :) My hubby does this most of time.

KayleesMom422
by on May. 12, 2010 at 5:03 AM
I'm dealing with the exact thing right now, my little girl will be 3 weeks thursday and the past 2 nights I've been sleeping on the couch so she can sleep in her swing in our living room! Every time I try to move her she wakes up and grunts for like 10-15 mins and has a really hard time falling back asleep! Every time we swaddle her it just makes her mad bc she can't move....so I don't know what to do either, I guess we will just have to keep trying diff things and hope they finally can sleep better!!
mommyhonu
by Mary on May. 12, 2010 at 5:06 AM

have you tried baby massage?

USMCwife22
by on May. 12, 2010 at 5:07 AM
My oldest was like that and it was mostly because he liked being tightly wrapped.lol...my 7 month old is STILL like that...you have to tiptoe around when he's asleep..Im still waiting for that magic night when he goes to sleep and stays asleep
tickled_pink09
by on May. 12, 2010 at 5:41 AM
I will have to swaddle him when he is fighting sleep and hold him... then put him to bed so I don't have to worry about waking him up by swaddling
tickled_pink09
by on May. 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Quoting mommyhonu:

I"m about to go offline but please let me know about it and I can see it when I log back on :)

tickled_pink09
by on May. 12, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Quoting KayleesMom422:

I'm dealing with the exact thing right now, my little girl will be 3 weeks thursday and the past 2 nights I've been sleeping on the couch so she can sleep in her swing in our living room! Every time I try to move her she wakes up and grunts for like 10-15 mins and has a really hard time falling back asleep! Every time we swaddle her it just makes her mad bc she can't move....so I don't know what to do either, I guess we will just have to keep trying diff things and hope they finally can sleep better!!

I hope all the best for you momma

when they say every baby is different--they mean it

But I would not want any baby but mine and I'm sure you feel the same :)

It will all work out. Motherhood has been around for a long time :)

mommyhonu
by Mary on May. 12, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Quoting tickled_pink09:

Quoting mommyhonu:

I"m about to go offline but please let me know about it and I can see it when I log back on :)

Choose a warm spot ... with baby dressed in only a diaper place baby on a towel or your lap ... make eye contact and (softly) talk baby thru what you are doing ... use firm but very gentle strokes ... make circles on baby's head (I like to use my finger tips) ... going from front to back ... smooth forehed by using your thumbs ... start in the center of baby's forhead and stroke outward ... then make little circles around baby's jaw ... stroke baby's chest ... rub your thumb in the palm of baby's hand ... then roll both of baby's arm gently between your hands (like you were going to make a playdough snake) ... stroke tummy again ... gently roll leg between your hands ... then the other ... stroke thumb on bottom of baby's foot ... then roll baby over and stroke down from the top of baby's back down to baby's bottom ... *note Don't massage baby over 15 min *

Hope this helps. Good Luck! Let me know how it works out for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)