Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Sleeping Through The Night

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

My 7 month old used to sleep all through the night just a few months ago, but lately he is up what feels like every 2-3 hours for a bottle or just to be fussy. Any advice? 

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tangleballlover
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

That's around the age you hit teething and also need to get rid of the night feedings. To help with teething, I suggest teething tablets or Tylenol at bedtime. As for night feedings, by 7 months, they no longer need to have it. One trick is to put water in their bottle and offer it when they wake up. They will be very angry, but after a couple of nights they'll simply stop waking up for it. If there are multiple night feedings, I suggest just taking away one at a time. :)

LovingMaMaHood
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

He has been teething since he was 3 months ols, he already has 6 teeth, but it never seemed to bother him before and I do put him on teething gel before bedtime. Thank you for the suggestions! 

big_red05
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

ok in my handout from the doctor at his six month appt it said that in the next few months they hit a new stage and they do wake up because htey want to be reassured you are there... my son never started sleeping thru the night so I didn't have to go thru this change... its been a battle for me because I am soo sleepy but my son is a little on the skinny side so I hate to cut out his night time feedings... I did try juice the other night he didnt' get mad he liked it...so that makes me think he isn't hungry just in the habit of eating lol

LovingMaMaHood
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Hmmm, I don't know, I try to comfort him when he is fussy I pat his back and whisper to him, but he is still fussy. I just let him fuss himself to sleep the other night because it felt like every time I closed my eyes, he was up fussing! 

big_red05
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

yeah I know that feeling... my son can be like that sometimes. but he is a restless sleeper... Ilet him fuss himself out sometimes it just depends on if he is just kind of fussing and he is sleeping still or he is outright crying :/ my daughter started sleeping thru the night at 3 motnhs and never stopped so im like man why can't you be like your sister!! lol

LovingMaMaHood
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Most of the time it seems that he is still asleep when he begins to fuss and then sometimes his fussiness turns into crying but not all the time! 

Mom71307
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:10 PM

If he is fussing, let him be.  When he begins to cry, go to him.  My kids BOTH fuss in their sleep... my son will even cry but we do not rush at the first peep.  We wait and see if it continues THEN go to them.  My son is almost 8 months and doesn't sleep through but he wakes, eats and goes back.

kansan-moma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM

my 8mth old daughter is doing the same thing. the pediatrician told us that we should try to feed her more during the day. 3 meals of "solids" and bottles throughout the day it has helped us for the most part. Down to only one bottle a night....

LovingMaMaHood
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I've been giving him 3 meals of solids and bottles during the day but I don't know maybe it is just not enough! Might I ask what are you giving her as solids? We give him everything, veggies, fruits etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)