Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

our ds is 2 months old and i'm scared to lay him on his tummy for tmmy time.

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM
  • 10 Replies

the only time i can get him to lay on his tummy is when he is laying on my chest and i seem to get more movement from him. when i do lay him on his tummy on floor he cries. what do i do???? someone please help. it's hard for me to try and play with him long enough to gradually work our way to him playing on his tummy. just brings my heart. i know he needs tummy time but when he cries like that.... it's hard.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
djspacegirl
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:54 PM

you don't need to cause him any stress.  you don't HAVE to lay him on his belly.  he will learn to roll over & crawl with or without 'tummy time'...... 

Journey311
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Try starting him out on a boppy.  That's what we did with our son and he loved tummy time.  We were kind of slack with our daughter, and she's not a huge fan of it.

Chrissy9479

my son cried like that for a while too but i would let him lay there for a few minutes untill he started crying and then I'd lay him on his back and play with him that way and the more i did that the better he got at being on his tummy. now he is 5 months and will lay on his tummy for a good 30 minutes and play with his toys and then when he gets tired of being on his back he'll roll over lol.  so don't fret, he will get better at it, i was worried too at first but some babies just take a little longer to get used to it. no worries :)

christinabri

On your chest is fine!  I do the same with my two month old.  She has reflux, and spits up when we lay her on her tummy on the floor. She cries too.  So, I just lay down at an angle and lay her on her tummy on my chest.  She is really strong, and lifts her chest and head up.  So I think what you are doing is fine!  Don't stress :)

banneyrooster
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Hes NOT use to it, doesnt like it! LOL  Give him time. I have 7 kids, and they ALL need "their time" for everything! lol

banneyrooster
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I wanted to add they do NOT like it at that age really cause they cant do much. All kids that age cry.  They can just lay there, lift their heads, "barely" and look around.  I dont think I would like that either! LOL 

cconaway
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM
My 3yo dd was sleeping on her tummy at 6wk. she just slept so much better. but our 4m dd absolutely hates being on her tummy. she last about 1 or 2 minutes. w are just keeping he on her belly till she gets upset.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on May. 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Most babies cry for tummy times cause they don't like it. I had early intervention working with me and they told me to have DS lay down for just a couple minutes at a time more times during the day. They also told me to put him on a playmat and to lay down on the floor with him so he can see that I am right there with him. I hope this helps you.

Schleetle
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Just do a couple minutes at a time. He doesn't need to be on his tummy a lot if it just makes him unhappy... Laying him on your chest works fine too for now especially if he's happier.

ScrapbookDiva28
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM

thank you ldies yes this did help. i feel bad cause i'm still so tired. yea they say sleep when baby sleeps but you can't do that if you have a 4 and 5 year old. so in a way i feel like i'm not doing enough with our ds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)