Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

So I went shopping with my 10 yr old son today. He's graduating from the 5th grade. (6th grade is middle school, i know sounds crazy huh?) Anyways we were talking about what he had to wear and he said something with a collar. I asked him what the girls had to wear he replied "A dress or a skirt ... and no make up." 10 yr old girls wearing make up? I thought this was crazy and can't imagine any parent letting their daughter to wear make up to school. He then told me "Oh yeah they come to school like that all of the time, then the teacher makes them go and wash of their faces." I can understand having to wear make up if they are on stage for a performance or such, but other wise...

Would you allow your 10 yr old daughter to wear make up?

At what age will you allow her to wear make up?

How old were you when you started wearing make up?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamamegan
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:06 AM

I didn't start wearing make-up untill Highschool not because I wasnt allowed to,I just chose to wait and my Daughter is only 2 but I Won't let her wear make-up that young,maybe lip gloss but thats it. There is a little neighbor girl who is 7 and plays with my son and she always has make-up on,like bright eye shadow and lipstick and she just looks silly,not sure if her mom lets her wear it to school though. I just think my daughter is so Beautiful and I hope She doesnt feel the need to wear make-up when she's older

ShellGardner
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:06 AM

I was 12 but it wasnt a lot just lip gloss and eye liner

Guinevere168
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I remember wearing some blue eyeliner in grade 7 for pictures (age 13), but it wasn't an everyday thing. I think a girl needs to be a "teen" to be wearing makeup, and even then it shouldn't be very much. I hope my niece gets a clear message from her mother and her aunts that appearances aren't as important as how you feel about yourself, and how you treat other people with respect.

Bashful984
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I remember it becoming a thing in middle school. I didn't until highschool or when I needed to in middle school. It was something that my mom talked to me about saying that I didn't need to wear it. I think middle school is a good age. That's when clicks and popularity start to come about.

joci2203
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Well it's hard to imagine since I have 2 boys, lol.  But, I did not wear makeup until college unless it was prom.  It wasn't because my mom wouldn't let me, I just didn't feel the need.

Amanda904
by on May. 25, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I lived w/ my dad and he said that I wasn't allowed to wear makeup until I was old enough to get a job and buy it myself...so I was 16.
I'm not kidding, the day after I turned 16, I walked to Little Ceasers down the road and got myself a frickin job.  lol
But no, I would not allow my child that young to wear makeup to school.

I don't understand, girls are in too big of a hurry to grow up...they'll wish they held on to those years when they get older. 

mslyricalbedlam
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM

I was told I couldn't wear makeup until 16. I however started wearing it in 8th grade, so 13. I will allow my girls to wear MINIMAL make up at 13. Another words lip gloss and LIGHT eyeshadow. I want to teach them makeup is fun, and want them to stay looking natural YOUNG girls. 10 is still too young imo.

Lukeshotmama22
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:18 AM

I think its ok for little girls to play with makeup but wouldnt let mine go to school wearing makeup until 13..thats when I started wearing makeup..but I have a boy.

carsonsmommytam
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:24 AM

I was allowed to wear a light tanish color eye shadow and some powder and maybe mascara at 13. Im not sure on the mascare. I wasnt allowed to waer the eyeliners and lipstick and dark eyeshadow until i was 15 or 16.

Cozmyk84
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:25 AM

my parents never stopped me from wearing but I started in about 8th grade but it was just lip gloss really... once I hit freshman year then I started with some powder and eye shadow.. but I really didn't get into makeup until after I graduated and still to this day I only wear a lil powder, a tinted gloss and eye liner with a light shadow... unless I plan on going out and I'll put on an 'evening wear'

I don't have a daughter but if I did I'd definitely make her wait until probably high school until she can wear makeup.. but maybe to 'play' would be fine. 10 is too young... Heck, I teared up when my 14 year old niece started wearing makeup!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)