Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

starting solids?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

I know there's not a written rule about when to stat solids, BUT she's 5 mo old, will be 6 june 8th :( any way the doctor said she can have up to 2 jars of the 1st stage a day or she could have the stage 2 whhich ever she refers, but everytime i try to feed her with a spoon she gags, sometimes she will accutaly move it around and swallow it like a pro, and sometimes when i make ber bottles ill put a little bit of cereal with a spoonful of fruit for added whatever, so when did you start solids and how did they react?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyhonu
by Mary on May. 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM

When I started it my LOs were about 5 months. Started with baby cereal and made sure they were ready. Then we moved onto the carrots ... I mixed a lil with the baby cereal.

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM

If she is gagging, then she still has her tongue thrust reflex and is not ready for solids, despite being close to 6 months old.  Putting anything but formula or breastmilk into her bottles is a choking hazard, as well as potentially causing other problems.  It's not a safe practice.

The guidlines for starting solids - - there are 3 signs of readiness, and all 3 need to be met before starting.  1) baby has lost tongue thruse reflex.  2) baby is showing interest in te foods you are eating.  3) baby can sit up unassisted. 

After starting solids, it is important to remember that solids before age 1 are just for fun.  They allow babies to experiment with tastes and textures, but they should not replace any of the nutrition from breastmilk/formula.  Baby should always get breast/bottle first, and then have some solids offered so that "milk" meals are not being replaced with solid meals.  After 1, that balance can safely switch to more solids, less milk. 

I started solids shortly before 6 months with my daughter, and shortly after with my son - they were each ready at different times.  With my daughter, I started with cereal, because that's what everyone does, right?  :)  With my son, I had learned more about the total lack of nutritional value in cereal and I skipped it altogether.  His favorite first table foods (neither of my kids cared for the "baby" foods that were totally pureed) were mashed avocaodes, bananas, and sweet potatoes.

1984connie
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM

she is not ready...

crystl_ring
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM

my son was 5 1/2 months and i started with the baby cereals. you can tell when they are ready if they actually swallow it. if they push it out with their toung they are not ready to eat solids. that is just what my doctor said. but it seems like she is kinda getting it!

atlbravesfanok
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM

my son was 4 months old (almost 5 months) when he started on cereal and stage 1 foods (the pedi said it was ok). he started on stage 2 at 6 months. he is now 9 months old and eats puffs and mashed potatoes and yogurt. he doesn't have any teeth yet so thats about all he eats. but he has had no problems w/ it.

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Just wanted to let you know that my son was a late teether as well (got his 1st 2 right before his 1st birthday), but he has never had problems with table foods, as long as they were in small pieces  ;)  You could try more solids to see how your LO does - you might be surprised at how little they actually need their teeth to chew food!  LOL

Quoting atlbravesfanok:

my son was 4 months old (almost 5 months) when he started on cereal and stage 1 foods (the pedi said it was ok). he started on stage 2 at 6 months. he is now 9 months old and eats puffs and mashed potatoes and yogurt. he doesn't have any teeth yet so thats about all he eats. but he has had no problems w/ it.

sillythang87
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Quoting crystl_ring:

my son was 5 1/2 months and i started with the baby cereals. you can tell when they are ready if they actually swallow it. if they push it out with their toung they are not ready to eat solids. that is just what my doctor said. but it seems like she is kinda getting it!

yea thats whats so aggervting, some days she will eat swallow no problem, but other times forget it, i dunno if shes overly hungry or tired? or just doesnt like that type of food, i put at bedtime 1 tablespoon of cereal in her bottle, docs idea accutaly, he said it was time to start solids because she could sit up on her own, grabs at food and trys to put it in her mouth, and of course her age, i dont feed cereal food by spoon, beacasue lets face it it tastes like wet cardboard, but she does get it i her bottle with a spoon of fruit, doc said that was ok, so idk maybe somedays shes more into then others? or maybe teething is getting in the way of eating?

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM

here's a link that talks about the reasons NOT to use cereal in a bottle - - I know it's what your Dr. said to do, but please at least read the information  :)  even if you don't take the advice - - it's always to good to be informed  :)

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Quoting sillythang87:

Quoting crystl_ring:

yea thats whats so aggervting, some days she will eat swallow no problem, but other times forget it, i dunno if shes overly hungry or tired? or just doesnt like that type of food, i put at bedtime 1 tablespoon of cereal in her bottle, docs idea accutaly, he said it was time to start solids because she could sit up on her own, grabs at food and trys to put it in her mouth, and of course her age, i dont feed cereal food by spoon, beacasue lets face it it tastes like wet cardboard, but she does get it i her bottle with a spoon of fruit, doc said that was ok, so idk maybe somedays shes more into then others? or maybe teething is getting in the way of eating?

She is losing her tongue thrust reflex, but is not quite there.  From what you've said, she has met the other guidelines for starting solids, and so when this reflex is gone, she will be good to go  :)  I would stop solids for a week or two and then try again. 

jessicaaris
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM

My doctor's doctor said it was okay to start at 4 months but she didn't need it. So I tried rice cereal around 4 months and she wanted nothing to do with it. So I tried mixing some baby food into it for flavor and still nothing. I tried only cereal, only baby food, different flavors, etc. and she still didn't want anything to do with baby food. Finally right around 5 1/2 months she started taking it and now she loves it! We do stage 2 because there is more variety of flavors but she hasn't had any problems with it since she decided it was okay to eat. I have always heard 4-6 months is when you can start, but your baby will tell you if she wants it or not. If not, then just keep trying every week or so until she takes it. My daughter is petite so I think she just didn't get the texture and didn't want it. Now she is a pro at baby food and some finger foods.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)