Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Growth in the first weeks

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter was born April 19.  She was 8 lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long.  At her 1 week appointment she was 8 lbs 7 oz so she gained her birth weight back fast.  Everyone in my birth group was talking about putting their kids newborn clothes away and it got me curious because she is still in hers.  She is 5 weeks old and is now 21 inches and she is about 10 lbs fully clothed.  How much did your LO grow right after birth?  My son was born at 6 lbs 15 oz and at 1 month old weighed 8 lbs 7 oz so he gained much faster than she is!

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommyhonu
by Mary on May. 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

My Lo was born at 6lbs 13.9oz at his 1 week check up he was 6lbs 11oz. His dr was very happy with that, since he had lost so much weight in the first few days.

JasonsMom2007
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Her doctor said I must have super milk because she's the first EBF baby she's seen in a very long time who gained their birth weight back by their 1 week appointment.  But it sure hasn't continued!

Quoting mommyhonu:

My Lo was born at 6lbs 13.9oz at his 1 week check up he was 6lbs 11oz. His dr was very happy with that, since he had lost so much weight in the first few days.

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM

She sounds like she's doing great.

I just looked it up and my daughter was 7lbs .05oz at birth...7lbs 1oz at her 1 wk check and at 1 month check she was 9lbs 3oz. (EBF as well)

Schleetle
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM

My daughter gained quick too, but it took until 2 weeks before she exceeded her birth weight (I was EBF too). Since then shes been tiny she'll be 6 months old in a couple days she weighs maybe 14lbs? I always get comments on how petite she is, but people say the same about me because I'm short, and small framed. I guess she is going to take after me in that, but I hope she's a little taller. lol

mcnmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I don't know how much my daughter was at 5 weeks, but at her 2 month appt, she had gained about 3.5lbs and grew 2 inches in length so I would say at about 1/2 of that you are doing just fine.  I got rid of my newborn clothes between 1-2 months.  I think it says on the tag up to 8lbs or so, but if your LO still fits into them I would get as much use out of them as possible!

JasonsMom2007
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I should mention that the only reason I worry is because my son had such issues with his weight.  He lost weight between 3 and 6 months and only weighed 16 lbs at 1 year.  Then the diarreah and tummy aches started and it took 1 1/2 years of that and being referred to a pediatric GI for TONS of tests (cystic fibrosis, celiac, cancer, kidney/liver function, etc) before we figured out he was allergic to grapes/raisins!  Now he is almost 3 and 31 lbs so he caught up but it has been a long road to get here!

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Yikes,I'm sorry he had so many issues!! 

But she really does sound like she's gaining perfectly.And maybe your kids are just mean to be smallish.My daughter was the same size as your son at 1 yr and now at 3 years,without all the tummy issues,lol.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I should mention that the only reason I worry is because my son had such issues with his weight.  He lost weight between 3 and 6 months and only weighed 16 lbs at 1 year.  Then the diarreah and tummy aches started and it took 1 1/2 years of that and being referred to a pediatric GI for TONS of tests (cystic fibrosis, celiac, cancer, kidney/liver function, etc) before we figured out he was allergic to grapes/raisins!  Now he is almost 3 and 31 lbs so he caught up but it has been a long road to get here!

alishabear0808
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

my dd was 6lbs 10ozs at birth, she is now 7lbs 14oz and she will be 5 weeks old tomorrow

butterflyblu
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:35 PM

My youngest son had the same birth weight as your daughter.  8 lbs 5 oz and 20 inches.  At 2 weeks he was only 7 lbs 13 oz.  He lost weight after birth (which is normal) but he just maintained and never gained.  Long story short, he wasn't getting enough milk and we had to fix that problem.   Once we fixed that, he gained 1 lb in 1 week!   IDK what he was at 5 weeks.  At 2 months he was 12 lbs even.   My older son was 6 lbs 14 oz at birth and gained faster than my youngest.   I was EBF for 2 weeks which he didn't gain anything then he got pumped BM plus formula until 1 month when I dried up and has been solely on formula since.   So that might make a difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)