Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gentian Violet for newborn thrush?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM
  • 3 Replies

Has anyone used Gentian violet to treat oral thrush on a baby?  My 5week old has had thrush since birth, and we've used nystatin since then. Her pedi reccomended gentian violet but doesn't have much experience with it. So I asked the pharmacist at my drugstore who wasn't 100% sure how to use, but I figure it's a once a day treatment from what I've read online. Just wanted to hear how you used it and if it worked. BTW, she is bottle fed only so there is no transfering from my nipples, and her bottles/pacifiers are being boiled after each use..  Thanks!

Bella (28) DH (38) Ella Grace- our first baby born 4/23/10

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Stephie280
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Okay you need qtips.. put a little bit on the qtip that stuff spreads like crazy. get make sure you have an old rag or something. then put it in her mouth. you will need to do one more treatment in 24 hours after the first since she has had it for so long. pm if you have any questions. i've used it lots of time to treat thrush.

mslyricalbedlam
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I haven't...here's a bump for you!

milagro07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM

yes i did when my baby was your babys age..he also had thrush for a long time.....i dont remember how long ago that was lol hes almost two...but i remember it took a few days and i had to boil everything...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)