Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:21 AM
  • 7 Replies

DD is 3 months and EBF. She takes very few naps during the day, mostly falls asleep nursing and wakes immediately when I put her down. She may take one 30 minute nap on her own. She does fine when I put her down for the night, she goes to bed around 9pm or so (depends on how successful I am getting DS to bed on time!). She sleeps in her bassinet til about 2am when she wakes to nurse and then we cosleep the rest of the night. She wants to be held all day, well really she wants to nurse all day. This isn't a growth spurt type thing- she has been this way since day 1. She will swing or lay on her playmat for about 1 hour throughout the entire day, broken up in small segments. Other than that, she is attached to me nonstop. My DS is almost 3, very hyperactive, high maintance, has a feeding tube which requires attention several times a day, and then we have just normal day to day activites around the house. I can't wear her all day. I NEED some space here and there. I will be going back to work soon and DH will be taking care of both kids. I would love to figure out a way to make DD happy and get her sleeping better before I go back to work. Also she stays latched on all night once I put her in bed with me, if I move she wakes up and starts crying to nurse. Any advice is appreciated!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lyndallsmom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I wish I had some advice for you. It is difficult. Both of my girls were not big nappers until they got older, around 6 months or so. Babies change their schedules as the grow and/or meet milestones. It will get better, it just takes time.

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

blessingAH
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM

My baby was  like that he wanted to be held all day and I was always drop dead tired and had no space or time not even fro peeing or washing my teeth, I just realized he needed me for some reason besides eating and sleeping, so I carried him around all day until he started learning to turn over around 4 months, when he started liking more being on his crib with me around of course!!! I pump so I dont have him attached to ny breat, but my Dr told me that is baby is not eating to remove my boob and just hold him. It gets better and better everyday, be patient and start giving your baby to his dad little by little so when you leave to work she doesnt feels your absence. Hang in there I know it is tough!!

K.a.C.87
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM

i know this sounds horrible, but let her cry for a little bit....if u know shes not hungry, dry diaper, etc.....let her cry for 10-15...dont let her cry for 3 hours or anything like that...but let her know u wont rush to her the second she makes a peep.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM

lol that doesn't sound horrible now that I have a 2nd kid! This is what I do now, I just wish I could find a way to make her happy w/o being attached 24/7. When my son was a baby, I thought I had to pick him up the second he started crying. Now I am more relaxed about it. I just hate how often she has to sit and cry while I do something else. She's better than she used to be, but lately she has started insisting on being latched on all night so it is really hard for me to sleep! She does fine for DH when I'm not home, so I think I need to put her in her room (shared with DS) instead of my room. I think maybe she smells me and knows milk or boob is available! She eats way less when DH takes care of her!

Quoting K.a.C.87:

i know this sounds horrible, but let her cry for a little bit....if u know shes not hungry, dry diaper, etc.....let her cry for 10-15...dont let her cry for 3 hours or anything like that...but let her know u wont rush to her the second she makes a peep.

KrissRBug120
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I think you are right about her smelling you and knowing a food source is available!  I had to start sending my husband into the room if I knew that DS wasn't hungry-if I was in there, he would want to eat!  If DH went in, he would just pat DS's behind for a few and he would go back to sleep.  Even now that he is 15 months old, sometimes he'll wake up at like 5am and if I go in he'll be totally ready for the day because I am the one that is usually home with him and taking care of him while DH works.  But alot of times, as bad as this sounds, if DH goes in he's just like, "well, I'm not going to get much out of this, so I'll just go back to sleep!"

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

lol that doesn't sound horrible now that I have a 2nd kid! This is what I do now, I just wish I could find a way to make her happy w/o being attached 24/7. When my son was a baby, I thought I had to pick him up the second he started crying. Now I am more relaxed about it. I just hate how often she has to sit and cry while I do something else. She's better than she used to be, but lately she has started insisting on being latched on all night so it is really hard for me to sleep! She does fine for DH when I'm not home, so I think I need to put her in her room (shared with DS) instead of my room. I think maybe she smells me and knows milk or boob is available! She eats way less when DH takes care of her!

Quoting K.a.C.87:

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I wish I had good advice for you = ( I went through this with my second born, hugs you are not alone!!

K.a.C.87
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Oh my....That is the same here! If he co.sleeps w.us he is up a lot more 2 nurse. In his own room he sleeps thru the night! i was the same way w.the first. Pickd her up right away....now not so much. i mean i dont let him cry for 2hrs or anything. But 5-10 MINS here and there doesnt hurt...the best advice i was told 'let them cry for a while, its not going to hurt them' sometimes they just cry to cry i think. Lol. If u know shes dry, not hungry, etc id let her wait 2 be pickd up...or try and lay dwn w.her on the floor vs. picking her up right away

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

Quoting K.a.C.87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)