Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding, would u say this med is okay? [piog]

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM
  • 15 Replies

i was just put on this medication for acne, do u think it is okay to breastfeed with it? my derm told me i couldnt.

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, and handsome little man, Bryant Allyn (sucessful VBAC). Loving fiance to Lee. Cloth diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, NON-CIO, Non-Circumcising, Vaxing mommy turned to Select-VAXing!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:28 AM

i would say if your dermatologist told you not to then don't...you could always as a lactation nurse or your ob if you want another opinion. and since it is categorized as class d, which is proven to have risks even though it is also an L2 which is safer,  i wouldn't breastfeed while taking it...

K.a.C.87
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:30 AM

the class D is for pregnant moms, sorry if that wasnt clear.

lauratupper
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:34 AM

lol i missed that...i see the different catagories now....did your derm tell you if there was any risks to it? i guess since it is one of the safer ones if you are comfortable with breastfeeding and taking it, then i say if you want to go for it....i would just keep an eye on your little for any sort of reactions.

Quoting K.a.C.87:

K.a.C.87
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:44 AM

she just said i couldnt take it while breastfeeding that i needed to stop. maybe i will ask my OB or lactation

Quoting lauratupper:

lol i missed that...i see the different catagories now....did your derm tell you if there was any risks to it? i guess since it is one of the safer ones if you are comfortable with breastfeeding and taking it, then i say if you want to go for it....i would just keep an eye on your little for any sort of reactions.

Quoting K.a.C.87:

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, and handsome little man, Bryant Allyn (sucessful VBAC). Loving fiance to Lee. Cloth diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, NON-CIO, Non-Circumcising, Vaxing mommy turned to Select-VAXing!

MumsTheWord571
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:46 AM

check Kellymom.com. it has a list of medications that is okay. MOST docs have NO IDEA what is okay to use while breastfeeding. Personally I would always choose breastfeeding over any medication, especially something like acne medication.

lauratupper
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:59 AM

that would probably good to ask someone else....and i would also say that if you can wait then start taking it when you are done breastfeeding.

Quoting K.a.C.87:

she just said i couldnt take it while breastfeeding that i needed to stop. maybe i will ask my OB or lactation

Quoting lauratupper:

Quoting K.a.C.87:

K.a.C.87
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM
That is what is showen....and im not going 2 try and defend myself 2 yet another person about my skin, acne and SCARS from it! u dont have my skin u dont know what its like

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

check Kellymom.com. it has a list of medications that is okay. MOST docs have NO IDEA what is okay to use while breastfeeding. Personally I would always choose breastfeeding over any medication, especially something like acne medication.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I would call an LC, or even ask the breastfeeding moms group. L2 is pretty safe I think... A lot of medicines say don't take while pregnant, or breastfeeding (including prenatals?) so I think a lot of times they say that just to cover their butts.

I had to take an antibiotic that the pharmacist said no while breastfeeding, but he didn't even know he just read the package. I called my LC (she's also a nurse), and she said it was fine.

Heather881029
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Try Lact Med

mommy2xp
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Maybe ur derm said no because it's a no while pregnant and they dont know the difference? Ask your ob or an lc and see what they say. But an L2 I would say would be safe

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)