Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cereal at 3mons?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM
  • 16 Replies

So This morning we started my 3 month old on real food... her first meal was rice cereal with apples and prunes. Is it unsual to start a baby this young on cereal and fruit? If not when did your child start eating real food? She seemed to love it...which is awesome. Also any tips on feeding on the go? I was thinking about the boon spoon... sorry about all the questions. My DD dropped on her growth chart and the dr. said to see if she would eat it and she is eating it... im kinda excited but was wondering if its too young? cause she said otherwise that she would wait until 6 months.

Thanks in advance for any answers / advice :)

expecting girl

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Normally yes I think 3 months is too young, but really it's up to you if you think she is ready. My daughter lost weight too at around 2 months, but I was just told to feed her more milk (she was EBF, and I was having some issues with supply). My daughter just turned 6 months old, and we are about to start some baby foods (she's had cereal for about a month though) I don't have any on the go feeding tips because I haven't tried that yet.

-PB
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM

3 months is a little young but if that's what the ped recommend then so be it.  You should introduce one food at a time though.  Feed that food for at least 3 or 4 days before starting a new food for allergies reasons.  If you do more then one food at a time and baby has an allergic reaction you won't know she is allergic to.  kwim? 

FatNSassyMaMa26
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Both my kids were started on rice cereal at 8 weeks so they would sleep through the night. This is some new BS they tell you not to give you baby real food till 6 months. You are doing the right thing mama!!

-PB
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Also avocado is pretty high in fat.  Lots of people say avocado is great for gaining weight.  Is she formula or breast feed?

TemptMagick7
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Ive added rice cereal to all my babies formula at around 6 weeks... I started introducing baby foods at around 3 months. My sisters, mother, mother in law did the same with their kids. Introduce foods one at a time though to make sure there are no allergies.

Ljensen09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I did it with both of my kids. i dont see a problem

sweetgrlangel
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM
I agree! I started my kids at 8 weeks also. But you only introduce 1 new item once a week, as in one week rice cereal, the next week apple sauce,the next week say peas, and so on and so forth. That way you know if the new food causes a allergy reaction. Now prunes might most likely give her diarrhea and with the apple sauce its probably a sure bet! I only use prunes when my lil mans plugged up!

Good luck mamma!

Quoting FatNSassyMaMa26:

Both my kids were started on rice cereal at 8 weeks so they would sleep through the night. This is some new BS they tell you not to give you baby real food till 6 months. You are doing the right thing mama!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luna08
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM

now this is not my opinon but actuall truth, the reason they tell you not to start them before 6mo is because a NEW study has been done that shows waiting till 6mo lowers the risk of childhood obesity, food allergies and because a babies esphongus muscles are still weak till there about 4-5mo it can damage there stomach. i started my dd at 4mo she now has a few food alergies my ds who just startd and is almost 7mo has no food alergies, no constipation like youger babies get from solids and were still going slow.rice cearial is nothing but empty calories. what if your baby is just on the lean side? but if you do continue do avacados instead there high in fats and very nutriciuos. but just because she eats it fine dosent mean her tummy is dealing with it fine. pedi dont always give good advice they dont alwaysd keep up with the latest aap. and if we stuck to what was "right" 3years ago or a decade ago we might as well stop trying to advance car seats and other baby items.....jmho

teachmichele825
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I think it may be too young. I didn't start until DS was 5 months old...and then it was ONLY cereal. It is easiest to digest. Prunes and apples will make your child go to the bathroom...if they can first properly digest it.

BeachMama05
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I think it is too young personally.but you know your baby and what she needs to be full :0)  also it is recommended to do one food at a time for a week so you would know if there was an allergy to a food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)