Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh no! This would be so awful!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

Shocked Parents Learn They're Half-Siblings

Irish couple struggles to cope with bombshell

By M. Morris| Posted May 31, 10 4:40 PM CDT| Share Share

(Newser) - An Irish couple with a young son is reeling after learning that they're half-siblings. "We really hit it off," the man, who asked to be called James, tells the Irish Mail on Sunday about meeting his partner. "After a week it felt like we'd known each other forever." They hadn't-their mutual father had a fling with James' mother, who named a different man on her son's birth certificate. She was the one who eventually made the connection.

"I thought maybe she was saying these things because she was lonely and that this would get me to go and stay with her," he recalls. "But somehow in the back of my mind I knew it was true." The case has become a case celebre for fathers'-rights activists, who coincidentally enough have an ally in a Mail on Sunday columnist. Says James: "There are others like us and I think that if mothers were forced to name the child's father on the birth certificate, then this would not happen."

The link is at The Stir

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
meglennox
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM

oh wow...what do they do now??? you meet, fall in love, get married and have kids. then find out your siblings...shrugging

Bren07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM

wow..i think it should b required for everyone to name the REAL father on birth certificates so stuff like this doesnt happen..you can give the child wutever last name u want but u cant just put whoever you want for the father..here in new mexico, if you are not married, to name the father on the birth certificate they have to do a paternity test..

joci2203
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I know, seriously what would you do?

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM

WOW......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)