Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you completely stop.....

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM
  • 24 Replies

the sippy cup with your toddler? My daughter (2 next month) can drink thru a cup with a straw. Still makes terrible spills with a cup with no lid at all. But i still let her practice every now and then. Debating if i can still give her a sippy for her milk or if i should stop all together....

When did you ladies stop giving your kid the sippy cup for good?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Kylie2708
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

BUMP!

tangleballlover
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I have used the Nuby Straw sippy cup since my kids started using the sippy. And I'm practicing with Dixie Cups when we brush teeth and rinse. My DS (who is 3) has got the hang out of it, but I don't trust him not to intentionally dump a cup out yet, because he's mischevious that way. LOL. When we go out to eat, he uses a covered cup with straw and handles that well.  My DD (who is 2) doesn't quite have a grasp of the regular cup, but does well with the covered w/straw. I think really it depends on the child and just go along with it. You could always experiment with cups of water (which I do periodically) and see if she's ready :)

hailnbray
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM

we did the straw sippy cups. they are leak proof during the day but at meals its reg no lid cups.

10 oz. Insulated Straw Cup

Schleetle
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

My boys used a straw sippy too up until they were in pre-k because it always prevented a mess.

KairisMama
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM

My DD is 3.5 and can drink from a regular cup. She has been for a LONG time of course. However, I still have some sippies in the house. I give her those if she is in the car, or having a drink while enjoying a show. It prevents spills.

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I plan on stopping around 2 1/2.

~Honeybun09: Babies Mod~Have a baby? Come join the Babies group today!

marywilliams
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Caroline is only 18 months and still using a sippy cup most of the time.  I think my stepdaughter was past the age of 3 by the time we finally got rid of the sippy cups completely.  We just started using the straw cups with lids (I think they are Take and Toss brand).  Her bio-mom was the hold out for sippy cups.  I would like to get Caroline off of them as soon as possible, but that's just my personal preference.

MarShy740
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

My son is 3 We still do sippy cups b/c he does do spills sometimes not on purpose but he can drink out of a cup

mslyricalbedlam
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Quoting hailnbray:

we did the straw sippy cups. they are leak proof during the day but at meals its reg no lid cups.

10 oz. Insulated Straw Cup

"I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kids."
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:43 PM

My son also will be 2 next month and I am kinda in the same boat. I was trying to decide what to do myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)