Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spitting up!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:13 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter spits up almost everytime she burps during feeding...her pediatrician said as long as she continues to make consistent wet diapers its normal, and she'll jus grow out of it. And she is making consistent soiled diapers, but my boyfriend thinks somethings wrong. Could there be???

Restless Rachshrugging

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Sounds normal to me.  I just had  baby #4 and she has only spit up a handfull of times.  My first 3 all had reflux.  My 3rd was the worst.  She projectile vomited all over everything all day long.  We even switched her to Soy formula and it didnt help.  I literally changed her clothes like 5 times a day!  My baby now, I  never have to change her except at night into her jammies.  My kids grew out of it, 1. at about 6months (he was on zantac)  2. about 3-4 months 3. 1yr (but then had other issues)  I would say your daughter will probably just grow out of it :) 

kellyv22
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Normal.  SOme babys are just spitters.  Both of mine were!  However, if she is fussy along with it or stops gaining weight, then there could be an issue.

Stock up on bibs!

Schleetle
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:32 AM

My daughter spit up a lot too, and pedi said pretty much the same thing. Even while she EBF she still spit up, but when we started supplementing formula she spit up the least with GoodStart Gentle. She's 6 months old now, and she doesn't spit up much anymore. It got a little better each month.

Amanda904
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Try burping her after every ounce.
One of my boys spit up a lot, he had refulx though, but I'm sure burping after every ounce will work for any baby.

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM

It's normal, you might need to burp baby more

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM

If she doesn't seem to be bothered by it then I wouldn't worry. My son is a "messy baby" and from the time he was 1 week old until he was about 6 months old he spit up VERY frequently. He spit up when he burped, had pressure on his belly from being held, had gas, was moved around alot(especially trying to put him in the carseat), and pretty much anytime he felt the need. I could lay him down and swaddle him and he'd spit up. Before or after feedings he'd do it. He did it on both BM and formula, but I also never tried to use the anti-spit up formulas either since he didn't seem bothered. His pedi said it could be that the sphincter that connects his esophagus to his stomach was just not strong enough to hold back his fluids. She also said it could be acid reflux...Which sometimes seemed like it was his problem since he made nasty faces sometimes. She recommended tilting his crib so his head was a little higher than his feet at night..It helped a lot with him spitting up at night. Now that he's almost 7 months he still spits up a little but not nearly as much. In the beginning he could soak himself, me and whatever was around him and yet he still gained weight. Don't worry about it unless there are other symptoms with it like: fever, painful crying, weight loss, no wet diapers for 24 hours. She's beautifully messy :)

Honeybun09
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM

BUMP!

Kimber8802
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Andrew spits up every now and then mostly when he eats to fast

the ped is right

have you tried to burp her after every ounce? that is what we had to do with Andrew at first and still sometimes now I try to burp him after every ounce...there are times he is too hungry to wait so I do it after every two also after she is done try laying her on her side for a while.. i read someplace that that helps...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)