Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Questions

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm breastfeeding my daughter, she is only 13days old. I have noticed my breast arent as swollen or leaking as much milk as they did in the beginining. I am worried I'm not producing enough milk for her. I hear her swallowing and she stays latched during her feedings but what if I'm not producing the milk she needs. For the past 3days she has been eating a lot more which the doctor told me is normal. Could it be that she is eating much more and more often that my milk supply isnt having enough time to produce more? I'm really worried, we tired formula and she doesn't take to it well and it leaves her fussy. Anyone ever go through this? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyrenee24
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Its normal. Your breasts starts to regulate themselves after a while. You don't need swollen, leaking breasts to produce milk.

Schleetle
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Yes your supply is regulating to meet your baby's needs. At first your body over produces which is why you leak, and get engorged then things start to regulate which is completely normal. Also if she starts eating constantly, pulling, or getting fussy at the breast those are signs of a growth spurt, and a way for her to naturally increase your supply. If you aren't a member of the breast feeding moms group (owned by CM team) you should check it out the ladies are very helpful, and kellymom.com is also a great resource. Good Luck!

rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM

You're regulating your supply. The way you know if she's getting enough to eat is if she as between 6 and 8 wet/dirty diapers a day. As long as that's enough, she's getting enough. And don't give formula. If you want to be successful at breastfeeding, supplimenting will only hurt your supply. You should exclusively breastfeed for at least the first 6 weeks before introducing the bottle so that she's comfortable with nursing and won't go through nipple confusion. If you want, you should join the breastfeeding moms group!

tangleballlover
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM

The more she nurses and the more it seems like she is trying to get, will make your body produce more milk. It's a miraculous thing! Your body will adjust to her growth spurts! A lot of moms think they don't produce enough and end up quitting, when really they WERE making enough. I think the normal growth spurts are 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months. So she'll probably nurse more in those time frames and it will seem like she isn't getting enough but keep her at it!

Chrissy9479
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM

its totally normal! you will only produce as much as your daughter needs. the more she eats the more you make. the first 2 weeks your body is regulating how much to make, some babies eat more than others so you always over produce the first few weeks. nothing to be worried about at all. you should be happy that your breast aren't swollen and leaking anymore, i hated that phase, they hurt so much!! lol. i am at 5 months and still going. oh and your baby will go through growth spurts and seem like shes latched on all day for a day or two, and thats OK! she is telling your body she needs more, and you will make more. if she gets fussy while eating and burping her doesn't work and she trys to eat and just seems unsatisfied, thats when you should be concerned, but i've heard that oatmeal  and fernguek helps you produce more. good luck :)

mommyhonu
by Mary on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM

sounds normal to me. are you keeping count of how many wet diapers & dirty diapers that baby has. That it a sure way of knowing that she's getting what she needs.

You'll know if baby is getting enough when ...

nurses frequently, such as every 2-3 hours or 8-12 times in 24 hours

has 6-8 wet diapers & 2-5 bowel movements a day

Laylas_mami28
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Hi, I have an 11 mos old and have gone through what you're going through. I have discussed this with a woman from La Leche League International who says that is normal that after time your breasts not  to feel swollen and leaking because of your hormones are regulating back to normal. Just like everyone here says, it is normal. You have nothing to worry about!

kwaverysmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Quoting mommyhonu:

sounds normal to me. are you keeping count of how many wet diapers & dirty diapers that baby has. That it a sure way of knowing that she's getting what she needs.

You'll know if baby is getting enough when ...

nurses frequently, such as every 2-3 hours or 8-12 times in 24 hours

has 6-8 wet diapers & 2-5 bowel movements a day

I agree with everything except the part in blue. Some babies do not, even as a newborn have that many bms a day. Mine pooped every 4 days once he passed the meconium until he was about 5 months old. Breastfed babies can have anywhere between multiple bms a day to once every 10 days. 

mommy2xp
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM

It's normal, my dd is 6 months and I hardly ever leak and I can't always tell if I even have milk in there lol

mslyricalbedlam
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Remember...boobs are producers not storage!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)